E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wood

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yayankee' post='455337' date='Aug 4 2007, 06:47 PM
danke yayankee but I think that his car has bamboo based on the grain
Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='455246' date='Aug 4 2007, 12:37 PM
I just spent a week in a 550i with the black bamboo. I didn't care for it at all.

I'm now in a 535i with dark poplar. Not loving this either.

I've had light poplar before and it looked good with black leather so that's what I'm leaning towards but I am wondering what it looks like in the LCI 5er.

If anyone has links to good images (yes, i searched, didn't really come up with much) that would be great.

Vielen Dank im Voraus.
I hate to make this suggestion, and spread some FUD, but look for some of the "my trim doesn't match" threads. I'm reluctant to get the light poplar due to this mismatch issue. Ordinarily, I discount some of the chatter in these groups on issues like this, as they are usually isolated incidents and somewhat subjective. However, I witnessed the same phenomenon on a few models at my local dealer.

I also think dark poplar is not the best choice with black leather or natural brown. It looks dingy, IMO. That leave Bamboo as the option for me.

It's sort of disturbing that I have to pick my interior trim by selecting the least distasteful option.

What specifically did you not like about Bamboo?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='455501
It's sort of disturbing that I have to pick my interior trim by selecting the least distasteful option.

What specifically did you not like about Bamboo?
At the risk of offending black bamboo fans, I found it very artificial looking (ironic, since it's bamboo), the grain was very grainy in a bad sense, and it didn't look black, it was more greenish to me in certain lighting conditions.

Several people (BMW owners) who looked at the 550i with bamboo out and out hated it - without any influence from me pro or con.

BTW, are you getting the anthrazit headliner?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='455501' date='Aug 5 2007, 10:00 AM
I hate to make this suggestion, and spread some FUD, but look for some of the "my trim doesn't match" threads.
Forgot to mention I've followed these threads but the chances of dark poplar not matching would be equally great. And re Bamboo, see above post.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='455513
BTW, are you getting the anthrazit headliner?
Yes I am. I'm going with Natural Brown leather. After sitting in a few cars, the grey headliner really clashed with natural brown.
I need a change after having black interiors on my last two cars.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Go for brushed aluminium, it gives the interior a much more modern touch. I'm very happy with mine, had the brown chocolate panels in my previous and I don't fancy them very much anymore.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

It's impossible to say which is the best. Everybody has their own taste. Personally, I have seen a car with aluminium and think it looks cheap and tacky. I have seen cars with light interiors and the light wood, and thought it was disgusting. I have seen a black car with bamboo, and loved it, and have ordered it. I have no doubt that 95% of people who read this will disagree with me, and instead tell me that their aluminium, or light interior, or light wood, is the best. And for each of you, I am sure it is! Just not for me. Just like my titanium silver car with black leather and bamboo wood wouldn't be for them.

Everything comes down to personal taste. That's why there are so many options available for seat colour, trim, and external colour. What we all have in common is that we think the E60 is a great car, and the only person that can choose the colour options that they are going to like best is the person buying it!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='455543' date='Aug 5 2007, 02:06 PM
Go for brushed aluminium, it gives the interior a much more modern touch. I'm very happy with mine, had the brown chocolate panels in my previous and I don't fancy them very much anymore.
Unfortunately, that's not one of the choices available from the factory in the US.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='455545' date='Aug 5 2007, 02:11 PM
It's impossible to say which is the best. Everybody has their own taste. Personally, I have seen a car with aluminium and think it looks cheap and tacky. I have seen cars with light interiors and the light wood, and thought it was disgusting. I have seen a black car with bamboo, and loved it, and have ordered it. I have no doubt that 95% of people who read this will disagree with me, and instead tell me that their aluminium, or light interior, or light wood, is the best. And for each of you, I am sure it is! Just not for me. Just like my titanium silver car with black leather and bamboo wood wouldn't be for them.

Everything comes down to personal taste. That's why there are so many options available for seat colour, trim, and external colour. What we all have in common is that we think the E60 is a great car, and the only person that can choose the colour options that they are going to like best is the person buying it!
This is spot on. Color (incl. color of wood and leather) is a very personal preference. I agree that the aluminum doesn?t look great but I am more afraid of what I?ve heard, namely that it scratches and dents easily. I guess I?m in the 5% with you.

Gosh, this is a tough decision (but I?m leaning towards light poplar right now)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I've had dark wood trims on all my BMWs until I saw Aluminum Cube (not Brushed Aluminum), wow, very modern and contemporary . It really complements a black interior, and hey it all matches !!
Cheers