E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter wheels and tires pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone here that can lend some insight to winter tire and wheel pkgs? I saw a few random links here about it. I will be running a 550i with sports package. Im moving to the midwest soon and not sure how it will do in the winter. Anyone running a set up?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

Your 550i sport will be horrendous in the snow if you try to get around on the stock summer performance tires. Try to look for some OEM 124 rims, or even the 17 inch rim that came standard on the 528i, I can't remember the model number. Wrap them in some Bridgestone Blizzaks LM series or Dunlop winter sport tires, and you should be able to get around fine with a decent amount of snow on the road.

Even with capable winter rubbers, good judgment is best exerted in really inclement winter weather as you are driving a 4.8L V8 beast
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

I'm heading into my first winter with my 545i. I have all season tires on a summer set of rims that I'm running for now and another set of all season tires on my stock rims that I'll run in the winter. We don't get THAT many heavy snow so I'm going to try and not worry about it... slow and steady.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

^This will be my first winter as well with the 550i. I was initially thinking about getting the Conti DWS, because swapping rims for me is annoying been as I'm city guy and live in an apartment, not a home with a garage to store them. But the Conti DWS got mixed reviews on how well they handle snow, so I too find myself looking for a reasonable priced winter setup.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
Your 550i sport will be horrendous in the snow if you try to get around on the stock summer performance tires. Try to look for some OEM 124 rims, or even the 17 inch rim that came standard on the 528i, I can't remember the model number. Wrap them in some Bridgestone Blizzaks LM series or Dunlop winter sport tires, and you should be able to get around fine with a decent amount of snow on the road.

Even with capable winter rubbers, good judgment is best exerted in really inclement winter weather as you are driving a 4.8L V8 beast
+1

I have run two winters in my 550i with a dedicated 17" winter setup. We have some particularly nasty winter conditions and the only issue I encountered was ground clearance after a heavy snowfall - and no wheel/tire combo is going to help with that. As noted above, use your judgement and you'll be fine. If you are going to run a separate setup for winter, I'd recommend going full winter tires vs. all-season, as you still lose a lot of traction with a/s tires below 7c.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

I only used my 550i only a handful of time and that after the snow are cleared from the roads, and if i ran in some snow the car wasn't stable at all.. This year I let go my daily commute car, so I needed winter tires. Blizzak got some good reviews, so I went with the Blizzaks.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Pick up some 138's or any other OEM 17 inch wheel and wrap them in Blizzaks. People practically give away 17's. DONE! I wanted to get rid of my 138's and get 128's, 19 inch wheels, but the price of winter tires tend to jump after 17's so I said screw it and put Blizzaks on the 138's. Zero regrets.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yeah, I'm looking for some 138's or 124's at a reasonable price myself.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by Coreyt23
Is there anyone here that can lend some insight to winter tire and wheel pkgs? I saw a few random links here about it. I will be running a 550i with sports package. Im moving to the midwest soon and not sure how it will do in the winter. Anyone running a set up?
I am often in Chicago for work, and last few winters, used blizzaks. Will never go back to anything else for the winter. Get a dedicated setup IMO - storage is cheaper in the midwest than the east coast.

You will definitely need a winter set if you are north. Even with a AWD, I cannot imagine driving there with my current summer set or previous all season set.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I have 18" Sport Edition A7 hubcentric rims for sale. I will also be selling the TPMS. No curb rash at all....great rims for winter. Used for 3 seasons...Pm me if interested.

Quick Reply: Winter wheels and tires pkg