E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter mode for auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F11 520d SE Touring Auto, Sophisto Grey, black dakota leather, prof. nav (media pack), sports seats, DAB, speaker upgrade, ConnectedDrive, Internet

Other (non BMW) autos I've owned and driven have had a 'winter' mode option which changes up sooner than standard mode.
I can't find anything similar for the E60 auto. Is this because the DSC handles this and so makes a winter mode, as such, unnecessary?
There doesn't seem to be any comment on this in the forum, maybe it's a dumb question!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, with premium package (PDC, Logic 7, Bluetooth, heated wheel, heated rear seats) and sports package in Sapphire Black with Truffle interior. Also a 2004 X5 4.4 with Premium package, Nav, Comfort Seats, DSP, heated wheel, Sterling silver with BK interior.

Originally Posted by Barrowboy' post='384047' date='Jan 27 2007, 08:32 AM
Other (non BMW) autos I've owned and driven have had a 'winter' mode option which changes up sooner than standard mode.
I can't find anything similar for the E60 auto. Is this because the DSC handles this and so makes a winter mode, as such, unnecessary?
There doesn't seem to be any comment on this in the forum, maybe it's a dumb question!
I am driving the E60 in Calgary, Canada and the only thing I did was change the tires (during winter) because 245 summers don't work in deep snow. Other than that I find the car unbelievably good in the crappiest of winter weather. Car starts well in -40c temperatures and it generally feels very safe.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

I've never heard of such thing. All i know about winter driving is that the steptronic has it's own programme that keeps the engine longer reved in gears before changing gear when the engine is cold. What are you trying to say? From what point of view "winter mode"? Security since you mentioned dsc or what?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Members

I know Mercedes has a "winter" option for the transmission, so the car starts off in 2nd gear to reduce wheelspin, but DSC probably takes care of that as you said. I recently drove in very icy conditions and even with DTC disengaged, it still did not allow excessive wheelspin. The system is actually quite smart...others around me were getting stuck while I powered on with my all-season 245's
Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

That is why we have the 'M' Mode, you can start in any gear you like within reason.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've always wished for a winter mode setting on the SMG that would allow me to start in second as well. Right now, I can select second to start off but the next time I come to a stop, the car will be in first again. This feature could also be used as a "granny mode" when you're driving around with grandma and you want to start off more gently so her neck muscles don't get so much of a workout!

It would be a simple software mod to allow for a winter mode for both the SMG and the steptronic.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

DSC detects if the wheels slip, gets info from ouside air temp sensors and "understands" that the auto box should run in winter mode.

/M

Originally Posted by Barrowboy' post='384047' date='Jan 27 2007, 04:32 PM
Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tegel' post='384089' date='Jan 27 2007, 01:09 PM
DSC detects if the wheels slip, gets info from ouside air temp sensors and "understands" that the auto box should run in winter mode.

/M
So what does the auto box do differently once it's put into winter mode?

If you were able to start from a standstill in second, there would be less chance of wheel slip in the first place, right?

EDIT: I looked at the Steptronic technical document posted in the gallery and found the following information relating to the adaptive transmission control:

Winter program (only with selector lever in position "D")
The winter program is automatically activated if the drive wheels start to spin even at a low rate of acceleration.
The winter program ensures better traction by not using 1st gear. Early upshifts reduced the reactions caused
by load changes. The winter program is deactivated if the wheels do not spin for several seconds despite high
drive torque.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='384105' date='Jan 27 2007, 11:20 PM
So what does the auto box do differently once it's put into winter mode?

If you were able to start from a standstill in second, there would be less chance of wheel slip in the first place, right?

EDIT: I looked at the Steptronic technical document posted in the gallery and found the following information relating to the adaptive transmission control:

Winter program (only with selector lever in position "D")
The winter program is automatically activated if the drive wheels start to spin even at a low rate of acceleration.
The winter program ensures better traction by not using 1st gear. Early upshifts reduced the reactions caused
by load changes. The winter program is deactivated if the wheels do not spin for several seconds despite high
drive torque.
Wait but doesn't in D alwayas start in 2nd? I'm a bit confused on this...
Old 01-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='384215' date='Jan 28 2007, 01:05 AM
Wait but doesn't in D alwayas start in 2nd? I'm a bit confused on this...
Definitely not. Probably yes.

Quick Reply: Winter mode for auto?