E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive your 5 in the Winter Months?
My Car is covered and stored for the Winter!
3.45%
I take my car out on clear days only. (No snow or salt)
18.97%
I slap on the snow tires and hit the road!
77.59%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Winter Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that a number of Forum members have mentioned that they don't drive their 5 in the winter. I love the way my car handles the winter weather with traction control and snow tires! Cast your vote on a cool topic for a hot day in July!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Let me put it this way! This is my first bmw, in fact this is my first rwd car aaaaand this winter is my first winter with rwd. But i would much more prefer to take my 4 motion passat during winter because 1st we tend to have heavy witners here, with alot of snow and ice on the road, and a 535d with m kit doesn't suit well, at least not that gorgeaus bumper that in winter driving would act like a razor. So pass for me...
Old 07-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Jul 30 2005, 06:36 PM
I've noticed that a number of Forum members have mentioned that they don't drive their 5 in the winter.? I love the way my car handles the winter weather with traction control and snow tires! ? ? Cast your vote on a cool topic for a hot day in July!?
[snapback]154602[/snapback]
Of course I drive my car all year.

Do any of you even know what winter is? I mean a meter of snow, icy roads and minus 30 celcius .

I have been driving BMW's for a quorter of a century, summer or winter, no problem!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 30 2005, 12:43 PM

Do any of you even know what winter is? I mean a meter of snow, icy roads and minus 30 celcius? .

I have been driving BMW's for a quorter of a century, summer or winter, no problem!
[snapback]154610[/snapback]
This will be my first winter with RWR so I'm a bit worried. SO can you confirm on no problems on ice and snow? I'm coming from Audi Quattro so I worry about winter a lot......
We have bad winters mostly in terms that the roads are not taken care of well.....
Old 07-31-2005, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I'm a traveling sales rep and my area is from the very north of Sweden to the south. So I slap on the winters with studs and drive!

My 525 is the first RWD for me, but last winter was one of my best in the car! It was a dream to drive on the icy roads and it was very predictible in the handling. DSC works as you want, no suprises and gived very stable handling of this big car. It beats my old Saabs on snow and ice with miles!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My advice: slap on a set of Nokian Hakkapalita snows (made in Finland; available worldwide) and your car will go anywhere. I drove an E39 for 5 winters and my E60 for one and those tires ROCK. Why buy a great car if you can't drive it all year?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by CTYankee' date='Jul 31 2005, 09:56 AM
My advice: slap on a set of Nokian Hakkapalita snows (made in Finland; available worldwide) and your car will go anywhere.? I drove an E39 for 5 winters and my E60 for one and those tires ROCK.? Why buy a great car if you can't drive it all year?
[snapback]154804[/snapback]
I agree about the Hakka's but my Nokian dealer wasn't able to find a suitable size to fit my car (even on 17" wheels). He apologized and told me to call the Tire Rack and I ended up with the Dunlop M3's....
Old 07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 31 2005, 11:07 AM
[quote name='CTYankee' date='Jul 31 2005, 09:56 AM']My advice: slap on a set of Nokian Hakkapalita snows (made in Finland; available worldwide) and your car will go anywhere.? I drove an E39 for 5 winters and my E60 for one and those tires ROCK.? Why buy a great car if you can't drive it all year?
[snapback]154804[/snapback]
I agree about the Hakka's but my Nokian dealer wasn't able to find a suitable size to fit my car (even on 17" wheels). He apologized and told me to call the Tire Rack and I ended up with the Dunlop M3's....
[snapback]154816[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 07-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:43 PM
[quote name='cocogigio' date='Jul 30 2005, 06:36 PM']I've noticed that a number of Forum members have mentioned that they don't drive their 5 in the winter.? I love the way my car handles the winter weather with traction control and snow tires! ? ? Cast your vote on a cool topic for a hot day in July!?
[snapback]154602[/snapback]

Do any of you even know what winter is? I mean a meter of snow, icy roads and minus 30 celcius .

[snapback]154610[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, we know winter! Every fall Finns get caught by first snow. Has to remember also that pile of cars last spring, when one morning in late March (or was it early April?) it snowed and people already had they summer boots on! Hundrets cars in one pile! I was driving opposite direction that morning and what I saw was .... well unbelieveable!

Skaffa
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Members

Here in Northern CT (near the Hartford area), the past few winters have had some decent snowfalls, but overall there aren't that many days really where there is significant snow on the roads - I'd say maybe 10-15 days at most all winter, where you really have over several inches of snow to drive through.

I've always put snow tires on my cars (E36 M3/4, E38 740iL and soon my 545i), and choose snows like the Pirelli Winter 210, Michelin Arctic Alpin and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 over aggressive snow tires like the Nokkia's, etc.). I like that the Dunlops still have decent traction on non-snow-covered roads, while still performing admirably in snow.

Quick Reply: Winter Drivers