E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:29 AM
SDS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

I know, I know ------ pull out your owner's manual ! ! !
Anyway, I presume the thumb wheel is to adjust the intermittent wipers, but how do I engage the intermittent mode????
signed,
clueless
Old 11-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SDS' post='204731' date='Nov 29 2005, 03:29 PM
Anyway, I presume the thumb wheel is to adjust the intermittent wipers, but how do I engage the intermittent mode????
signed,
clueless
Push the button to enable auto mode via the sensor (if fitted).

Tap up to enable timed intermittent. Tap up again to enable permanent on. Tap up again to speed up! (Tap down to back-out these)

I recommend reading the manual - there's lots of little gems in there! (Parking lights, home light assist etc. etc.)

Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204733
signed,
clueless

Tap up to enable timed intermittent. Tap up again to enable permanent on. Tap up again to speed up!

[/quote]

Thanks. I thought I had tried that but I'll give it another go. Also, I've had my '06 530xi since mid-July and the wiper blades make an awful sound. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Does the thumbwheel actually do something? In my car, it seems that its position doen't matter at all...
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='204737' date='Nov 29 2005, 10:51 AM
Does the thumbwheel actually do something? In my car, it seems that its position doen't matter at all...
Works for me...roll it up for greater sensitivity and down for lower sensitivity
Old 11-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='204752
Works for me...roll it up for greater sensitivity and down for lower sensitivity
[/quote]
It does but the difference is not really large IMHO!

I have mine on maximum sensitivity and could do with it being even higher!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204733
signed,
clueless

Tap up to enable timed intermittent. Tap up again to enable permanent on. Tap up again to speed up! (Tap down to back-out these)

I recommend reading the manual - there's lots of little gems in there! (Parking lights, home light assist etc. etc.)

[/quote]
Reading the manual is good. There was an interesting read today in the Arizona Republic and maybe other papers about the complexity of today's gadgets, their manual, etc. Personally, I have read the most important parts of my manual. And, in general, when I get a new manual, I read it all and figure it all out. Unfortunately, through lack of use, I forget most of what I knew. My wife and I got into a little rain in her X5--so we had to get her manual out to figure out what was going on. I think reading manuals in cars when needed must be about as problematic as using cell phones in them. I am suprised that I don't have wrecks sometimes when fiddling with all the 545i gadgets. The voice guy is dumb. He can't even understand common words from those with good diction. I like to try to frustrate him by just hitting the button and not saying anything. He once threatened to shut my car down for 24 hours if I didn't quit it. Even if I had read the wiper part of the manual before, I would have forgotten by the time it rained. I know my memory for facts is as good as always--not bad. Did you remember the instructions above or did you get your own manual out? Does it rain much where you live? We visit London pretty much annually, but I don't recall exactly where Essex is. I presume you do get pretty much rain.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Gray, Gray Leather/Dark Poplar Wood, [i]Options[/i]:Steptronic, Logic 7 Sound System, 6-discCD Changer, Heated Front Seat & Steering Wheel, Headlight Washer, M-Tech Aero Kit, [/I]Standard Items: PDC, 17" Style 116 Wheels, Xenon Lights w/ Angel Eyes. 1997 528i E39 Arctic Silver, Black interior, Angel Eyes, 17" Crosspoke Composite 5 Wheels, 6-CD Changer.

Originally Posted by SDS' post='204735' date='Nov 29 2005, 10:44 AM
Also, I've had my '06 530xi since mid-July and the wiper blades make an awful sound. Anyone else have this problem?
Others have reported wiper blade noise after a few months of delivery. If you live in the US, wiiper blade insert replacements are free during the 4 year/50,000 mile maintenance period.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='204782
Originally Posted by SDS' post='204731' date='Nov 29 2005, 03:29 PM
signed,
clueless

Did you remember the instructions above or did you get your own manual out? Does it rain much where you live? We visit London pretty much annually, but I don't recall exactly where Essex is. I presume you do get pretty much rain.
[/quote]
All from memory!

It rains a fair bit but we're going through a cold-spell at the moment. (Well cold for me!) Where I am in Essex is about 80 miles North East of London...
Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204842
Originally Posted by colejl' post='204733' date='Nov 29 2005, 10:40 AM
[quote name='SDS' post='204731' date='Nov 29 2005, 03:29 PM']
signed,
clueless

Did you remember the instructions above or did you get your own manual out? Does it rain much where you live? We visit London pretty much annually, but I don't recall exactly where Essex is. I presume you do get pretty much rain.
[/quote]
All from memory!

It rains a fair bit but we're going through a cold-spell at the moment. (Well cold for me!) Where I am in Essex is about 80 miles North East of London...
[/quote]
OK, but at least you have used yours. On both BMW's, we've only used ours once total; hope it doesn't rain again. We're usually there end of Dec/start of Jan. That'll be the case this year. I keep hoping for snow, but no record snow storms please.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Control