E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Well it finally seems as though we in SoCal are getting some consistent rainfall. Aside from the myriad number of drivers who can't seem to negotiate wet roads etc. I'm having the most basic of issues with my wipers. For some reason my drivers side wiper is chattering as it returns downward. I've had BMW replace the blades, they stayed quiet for about 5 minutes. I've made sure the glass was clean and contaminant-free. As a last resort, I've applied Rain-X to see if that would solve the chattering problem, also working for about 5 minutes too. It irks me to have to take the car to the dealer for something as simple as this, but I can't seem to find a solution. Anyone here have a similar issue? Or any kind of solution perhaps?? Let me know!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Contributors

That is strange. I had that same "down chatter" and the under-warranty new blade fixed it. Assuming your replacement was under warranty, I'd say take it back and have them check for a bent wiper arm, perhaps.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Yeah i have the same problem too i'm about to replace the wiper blades and see if it goes away, it's very annoying loud noise for wipers.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='522502' date='Jan 24 2008, 08:42 PM
Well it finally seems as though we in SoCal are getting some consistent rainfall. Aside from the myriad number of drivers who can't seem to negotiate wet roads etc. I'm having the most basic of issues with my wipers. For some reason my drivers side wiper is chattering as it returns downward. I've had BMW replace the blades, they stayed quiet for about 5 minutes. I've made sure the glass was clean and contaminant-free. As a last resort, I've applied Rain-X to see if that would solve the chattering problem, also working for about 5 minutes too. It irks me to have to take the car to the dealer for something as simple as this, but I can't seem to find a solution. Anyone here have a similar issue? Or any kind of solution perhaps?? Let me know!
Simple non-warranty fix ... Move where it doesn't rain .

If that's not practical and an under-warranty replacement blade didn't solve the problem I too feel it's the wiper arm / spring tension that may be the problem. Some causes of chatter are when the blade isn't laid against the windshield at the proper angle, the rubber has deteriorated, or incorrect tension causes the blade to hop. Another tip that might work temporarily - wipe off the blade with a liquid dish detergent. You'd be surprised at the stuff that comes off even a new blade.

As for Rain-X, my own experience is that Rain-X+wipers don't improve the situation but cause more smearing than relying on Rain-X + road speed to sheet water off the windshield. But sometimes it's not practical or legal to drive fast enough .
Old 01-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

My dealership replaced my wipers after one year without the chatter.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I get a slight chatter too... but its been over 3 years and I havent gotten a replacement yet HAHAHHA they still work... but just with a slight chatter... I should ask for a free replacement before my maintenance expires...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Try cleaning your wiper blades thoroughly with alcohol.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Flyingpuck,

Cleaning the blades is always a good idea, but you've already gone through that.

If you fancy a bit of Do-It-Yourself, try this:

Get a small adjustable spanner and some thick cloth or card to go in the spanner jaws to protect the wiper arm.

Put the spanner on the wiper ARM (not the blade) at the blade end. Looking down the arm, towards the pivot, use the spanner to twist the arm anticlockwise. Just a few degrees will do it, but you'll need to overcorrect because they aren't that easy to bend!

Imagine as your wiper blade goes on the downstroke. It's angle on the screen is too sharp, and it is effectively trying to dig in to the screen. By twisting the arm, this angle of attack is reduced, so the blade can do what it was designed to do, remove the water. Obviously, if you do it too much, the blade will then chatter on the up stroke, but the tolerance for the angle of attack is wide, so you shouldn't get that far!!

Nice to hear that somewhere else is getting rain too

Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

It looks like it will be raining in SoCal for the next few days. I would bring it back to the dealer. I have had three sets of new wiper blades in the last year. I tell them the blades chatter and they replace them for free, no questions asked. The dealer is four blocks from my office so their location is convenient for me.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='522516
Try cleaning your wiper blades thoroughly with alcohol.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='522642' date='Jan 25 2008, 11:52 AM
Flyingpuck,

Cleaning the blades is always a good idea, but you've already gone through that.

If you fancy a bit of Do-It-Yourself, try this:

Get a small adjustable spanner and some thick cloth or card to go in the spanner jaws to protect the wiper arm.

Put the spanner on the wiper ARM (not the blade) at the blade end. Looking down the arm, towards the pivot, use the spanner to twist the arm anticlockwise. Just a few degrees will do it, but you'll need to overcorrect because they aren't that easy to bend!

Imagine as your wiper blade goes on the downstroke. It's angle on the screen is too sharp, and it is effectively trying to dig in to the screen. By twisting the arm, this angle of attack is reduced, so the blade can do what it was designed to do, remove the water. Obviously, if you do it too much, the blade will then chatter on the up stroke, but the tolerance for the angle of attack is wide, so you shouldn't get that far!!

Nice to hear that somewhere else is getting rain too

Mike
This is the best answer, methinks

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Chatter