E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield....very loud whistle at 80 - 140 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I know that are a couple of threads on this but I really need to find a service bulleting or some sort of BMW documentation about this problem. When I get the car up to about 80 and on up to 140 mph there is a VERY lound whistle that comes from the windshield. There is a person on this forum that posted a recording of it. I want to give my dealer all the information possible because I know that I need it fixed but they are not going to go 80 - 140 to replicate it. Any SB #'s or PUMA case information would be greatly appreciated. This is the 9th time my 2005 545i has been in the shop for one thing or another and I do not want to stop until everything is resolved.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi

My car had a very loud whistling noise that came from the lower, centre seal of the windscreen. The noise came on at about 150 mph upwards. Since it was obvious the dealers in the UK would not be able to replicate going legally at this speed, I made a video recording of me driving my car and the noise was recorded along with the speedometer at 160 mph.

Once the service guys saw the DVD they ordered another windscreen and it was fitted this morning. I won't know if it has been cured until I get back to the UK to pick my car up on Thursday.

You describe your sound as starting from 80mph. I suggest that you video record yourself at that speed so that you can get your dealership to hear the sound. Others on this forum have had similar noises and I believe they also had windscreens changed.

Hope that helps.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Or just take Dave for a ride down I-79 for a few miles so he can hear it...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

come on guys, search the forum here you go

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=14698

your winshield case is a very common problem, covered few times here

no bulletin is our for this problem and you have to convince your SA very hard on your own to exchange with winshield
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I discovered that noise recently too. I have it in speeds over 210km/h. And my dealer tells me that they've never heard about this problem. The noise is very loud and annoying. Don't know what to do...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

FYI.....I did search the forum and could not find anything from BMW that documented the problem. (That is why I asked for something specific.)
Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Contributors

BTW. I am planning on taking the SA on I-79 if they need to hear it replicated. I really just don't want to drive that fast in town. I usually am driving that fast over I-70 on my way home. Just my luck I will get the windshield fixed and end up paying more for the ticket I get trying to prove my point.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

there is no BMW bulletion about this as I think there should be one since there are so many people with this issue.

But put this way, maybe it is too early. It took 2,5 years for BMW to admit the squeaky door seal issue. So maybe we have to wait with the winshield issue another year

But really it is like 10 people including myself I know who had this problem
Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 16 2005, 07:32 AM
there is no BMW bulletion about this as I think there should be one since there are so many people with this issue.

But put this way, maybe it is too early. It took 2,5 years for BMW to admit the squeaky door seal issue. So maybe we have to wait with the winshield issue another year

But really it is like 10 people including myself I know who had this problem
[snapback]159781[/snapback]
Count me as the 11th person. My windshield makes that noise at 120 mph. If you live in Houston, Texas, the only dealer that might entertain this problem is Momentum BMW on the Southwest freeway. Ask to speak with the chief tech. in service. He won't drive the car but is willing to sit in it at that speed.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

LOL Bmw must fix that kind of issues even if you not are aloud too drive so fast.

Quick Reply: Windshield....very loud whistle at 80 - 140 mph