E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

windshield replaced now automatic windshield setting dosnt work

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 545i, build date july '04, saphire metallic black, auburn interior, sports package.

I had my windshield replaced due to a large crack found to be secondary to a stone chip. The windshield was replaced by our local Autoglass Center as our BMW dealer has this type of work done by outside venders and uses Autoglass Centers to do this. My automatic windshield system worked great before the windshield was replaced but does not work now. The regular manual settings seem to work fine. The little light will go on after the button is pressed, as if it is activated, but there is no initial single sweep or any response to the rain on the windshield thereafter. The autoglass center knew it had auto dimming and auto windshield function and advised they had the proper windshield for the car before we brought it in for replacment. Has anyone else has this happen before and what did you do about it. I will call the autoglass center tomarrow and see what they advise. Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 545i, build date july '04, saphire metallic black, auburn interior, sports package.

I figure most will figure it out, but I am refering to automatic windshield wiper setting.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

You should bring it back and ask them to check and see whether the photo eye for the rain sensor is lined up properly with the cutout in the adhesive backing, and whether the sensor box is properly plugged back in.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Members

That makes sense. I wonder if they can do this without removing the windshield. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by darkshark' post='327717' date='Aug 27 2006, 11:14 PM
That makes sense. I wonder if they can do this without removing the windshield. Thanks for the reply.
The photo eye alignment can be check by looking at it thru the glass from the front. Look thru the hole in the adhesive backing and see if there is a glassy photo eye inside. The cable connectors can be checked by removing the rain sensor plastic cover from behind the mirror. It can be removed by pushing it at the bottom to release the clips and pull the two halfs (left & right) apart carefully. Once the cover is removed all the internal pieces are clearly visible. The rain sensor cable runs along the right side of the mirror mount and the sensor is in a small square black box near the bottom, attached to the adhesive backing.

See bottom of page 4 and page 5 of this:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=Attach...st&id=22896
Old 08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Members

Blah, Thanks again for the info. This diagram will help out and is very educational.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Blah' post='327668' date='Aug 28 2006, 01:18 AM
You should bring it back and ask them to check and see whether the photo eye for the rain sensor is lined up properly with the cutout in the adhesive backing, and whether the sensor box is properly plugged back in.
If everything Blah suggests is in order, I know when they brought out the first rain sensors (E38/E39), there were problems because of the variation in the optical characteristics of OEM glass vs. the replacement ones Autoglass would source more cheaply. The wrong glass would cause the sensor to malfunction or even to stop working altogether.

I would have thought this has been sorted out over the last 10 years, but perhaps they did fit the wrong glass?

However, the fact that you aren't getting a single wipe when you press the sensor button makes me think that an electrical fault is more likely.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yeah, it really sounds as if they just didn't hook up the wires properly when reinstalling the mirror assembly...
Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by darkshark' post='327652' date='Aug 27 2006, 07:29 PM
I had my windshield replaced due to a large crack found to be secondary to a stone chip. The windshield was replaced by our local Autoglass Center as our BMW dealer has this type of work done by outside venders and uses Autoglass Centers to do this. My automatic windshield system worked great before the windshield was replaced but does not work now. The regular manual settings seem to work fine. The little light will go on after the button is pressed, as if it is activated, but there is no initial single sweep or any response to the rain on the windshield thereafter. The autoglass center knew it had auto dimming and auto windshield function and advised they had the proper windshield for the car before we brought it in for replacment. Has anyone else has this happen before and what did you do about it. I will call the autoglass center tomarrow and see what they advise. Thanks for any advice.
One thing I don't understand is why didn't you insist that the Glass Co. put in a OEM Windshield from your BMW Dealer after all the insurance company pays for it. IMO always go OEM it pays in the end. Just imagine the problems you would have if you had HUD along with the Rain Sensor. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Members

The initial sweep isn't related to the glass at all. It does one sweep regardless of any moisture on the glass. I think your problem may be something else.

Quick Reply: windshield replaced now automatic windshield setting dosnt work