E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by niktee' date='May 6 2005, 12:37 PM
There was a similar discussion regarding windshields this morning in which I replied that I've owned more than thirty new vehicles over the years and I've never experienced a more fragile, softer compound windshield than the one in the E60.? A seemingly insignificant? stone or abrasion causes damage, from a gouge in the glass, to a rapidly growing crack.? I had my 'shield replaced at three months because of a huge crack caused by a pinpoint sized chip.? After only a week with the new OEM windshield I have numerous pits and pot-marks, and I don't do a lot of heavy freeway driving.? Many, many members have posted similar stories.? What's up with BMW windshields?
[snapback]124991[/snapback]

This was a big problem with the E39s as well.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Mine too EXACTLY. Same exact starting point and shape. Dealer also replaced under warranty.

I had a crack starting from the top edge of the windscreen (=windshield) to the left of the rear view mirror. It came down about four inches then turned in at almost 90 degrees another three inches towards the centre of the screen.

BMW confirmed it was not a stone chip and replaced the screen under warranty. They referred to it as a stress fracture.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by vern' date='May 6 2005, 07:19 AM
[quote name='gabman' date='May 6 2005, 06:58 AM']Just got my car back yesterday after having had the windshield changed. I had 2 stone chips and was lucky that dealer changed it for me without cost.

On the way back to the office after having picked up the car, sure enough I hear
that all to familiar sound of something hitting my windshield, fortunately no damage.

Glass on E60 seems to be very soft and it does not take much to get damaged.

If this keeps up might be cheaper to install bullet proof glass. LOL

Also had some other issues on this visit like creaking door seal, noisy sunroof and rough performance at low RPM's under 2000 rpm. I waited 2 weeks to get this appointment and advised S/A to order the new door seals, of course they did not listen to me and just cleaned and lubed them, for now they are ok. Sun Roof was adjusted and also seems ok for now.

Whenever I bring my car in for service I give them the spare key, so when I go to pick up my car, I check it out in their lot before I go in to see the service advisor.
So I ask him about about rough drive at low RPM's and he tells me that everything was normal on the computer. I ask him if they test drove the car and he tells me of course they did.? Some test drive, they put 1.5 miles on the car from when I left it there, you had to see the look on his face, the guy turned red.

Well at least I got a free compund/wax and windshield this time around.
[snapback]124819[/snapback]
Sounds to me you might be traveling to close,(tail gateing), to the vehicle in front of you to get that many chips in such a short period of time.
cheers
vern
[snapback]124829[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not at all. The first one happened on a street and not the highway and the second one was a flying stone from from the opposite direction on the highway, I was in passing lane and saw the rock come from the other side. There really is not much that can be done to prevent something like this, it is just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time
Old 05-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Mine is getting replaced today. I agree the windshields are not very resistant. This will be a nightmare during the winter in CO when the put gravel down for the snow.

I got a small rock chip when I was going over Donner pass and spread very quickly. And similar to you Subterfuse, I had tinted the upper portion of the window recently.

Plus this windshield is expensive when you add everything up including the install.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... Florida is a zero deductible glass state.... so my insurance is paying for the windshield replacement.

I'm just ticked off because now I have to get my tint redone.... and the first tint job was damn near perfect.

Although... I am starting to wonder if my tint caused the crack. Maybe the heat of the sun made the glass expand and crack?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Members

they (BMW) should start a RECALL, maybe the glass itself has quality problems or the way they install it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport; sapphire black metallic; comfort; nav; sirius; split-folding rear; auto

Same issue- mysterious crack suddenly appeared growing from the passenger side frame a few inches over then a right turn upwards. NY is also a full glass state so the dealer had it replaced via my insurance, although I did suggest it should be treated as a warranty issue. It wasn't worth the fight since according to Geico glass replacement doesn't affect your rates (probably a NYS law). Glad to see I wasn't nuts to suggest it was a defect in the windshield or install. I certainly didn't see any pock mark from a rock.

Hopefully the replaced glass will hold up better.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

The E60 windshield defintely has issues with stress fractures for some reason. My car was fine, but then as I was leaving work, I noticed the crack coming from the top under the trim. The car wasn't moving and my parking lot is secure. It was definitely a stress fracture. No chip whatsoever and just like the earlier post, started at the top, dipped, and then almost had a horseshoe curve to it. Dealer had a regional tech. at the dealer that day and they agreed that it was a stress fracture.

Look out for this guys...

Originally Posted by jlgnyc11' date='May 7 2005, 12:45 AM
Same issue- mysterious crack suddenly appeared growing from the passenger side frame a few inches over then a right turn upwards.? NY is also a full glass state so the dealer had it replaced via my insurance, although I did suggest it should be treated as a warranty issue.? It wasn't worth the fight since according to Geico glass replacement doesn't affect your rates (probably a NYS law).? Glad to see I wasn't nuts to suggest it was a defect in the windshield or install.? I certainly didn't see any pock mark from a rock.

Hopefully the replaced glass will hold up better.
[snapback]125295[/snapback]