E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

2 weeks after having my front windshield tinted just the way I like it.... my windshield is now cracked.

Talk about Irony.

This sucks.... now I have to get the windshield replaced, and start over with the tint again.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Just got my car back yesterday after having had the windshield changed. I had 2 stone chips and was lucky that dealer changed it for me without cost.

On the way back to the office after having picked up the car, sure enough I hear
that all to familiar sound of something hitting my windshield, fortunately no damage.

Glass on E60 seems to be very soft and it does not take much to get damaged.

If this keeps up might be cheaper to install bullet proof glass. LOL

Also had some other issues on this visit like creaking door seal, noisy sunroof and rough performance at low RPM's under 2000 rpm. I waited 2 weeks to get this appointment and advised S/A to order the new door seals, of course they did not listen to me and just cleaned and lubed them, for now they are ok. Sun Roof was adjusted and also seems ok for now.

Whenever I bring my car in for service I give them the spare key, so when I go to pick up my car, I check it out in their lot before I go in to see the service advisor.
So I ask him about about rough drive at low RPM's and he tells me that everything was normal on the computer. I ask him if they test drove the car and he tells me of course they did. Some test drive, they put 1.5 miles on the car from when I left it there, you had to see the look on his face, the guy turned red.

Well at least I got a free compund/wax and windshield this time around.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by gabman' date='May 6 2005, 06:58 AM
Just got my car back yesterday after having had the windshield changed. I had 2 stone chips and was lucky that dealer changed it for me without cost.

On the way back to the office after having picked up the car, sure enough I hear
that all to familiar sound of something hitting my windshield, fortunately no damage.

Glass on E60 seems to be very soft and it does not take much to get damaged.

If this keeps up might be cheaper to install bullet proof glass. LOL

Also had some other issues on this visit like creaking door seal, noisy sunroof and rough performance at low RPM's under 2000 rpm. I waited 2 weeks to get this appointment and advised S/A to order the new door seals, of course they did not listen to me and just cleaned and lubed them, for now they are ok. Sun Roof was adjusted and also seems ok for now.

Whenever I bring my car in for service I give them the spare key, so when I go to pick up my car, I check it out in their lot before I go in to see the service advisor.
So I ask him about about rough drive at low RPM's and he tells me that everything was normal on the computer. I ask him if they test drove the car and he tells me of course they did.? Some test drive, they put 1.5 miles on the car from when I left it there, you had to see the look on his face, the guy turned red.

Well at least I got a free compund/wax and windshield this time around.
[snapback]124819[/snapback]
Sounds to me you might be traveling to close,(tail gateing), to the vehicle in front of you to get that many chips in such a short period of time.
cheers
vern
Old 05-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I never tailgate, for that very reason. I'm trying to protect my paint from rock chips.

So far, 6 months and not a scratch on my hood or bumper.

I have no idea how my windshield broke. I think it cracked under the pressure of closing the doors. These cars are so airtight, that closing the door is hard sometimes. BMW should install the same feature that the convertibles have, where the windows roll down a half inch when you open the doors. It would prevent these pressure problems.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2004 525 Amethyst grey, Heated front seats, bluetooth prep, Adaptive Xenons, 6 CD changer, Front & Rear PDC, retro-fit 6 DVD changer in boot (trunk) with remote control plus headrest screens and IR headphones, Playstation connection to cabin, twin 12v outlets in rear cabin

I had a crack starting from the top edge of the windscreen (=windshield) to the left of the rear view mirror. It came down about four inches then turned in at almost 90 degrees another three inches towards the centre of the screen.

BMW confirmed it was not a stone chip and replaced the screen under warranty. They referred to it as a stress fracture.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

yup, my car is going under the scalpel on monday to get the windshield replaced because of a car, getting software upgrade, getting new leather for the passenger seat (they ripped it during the last visit), getting brake noise fixed, and getting the car washed

should be a brand spanking new car when it comes back from the dealer
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

There was a similar discussion regarding windshields this morning in which I replied that I've owned more than thirty new vehicles over the years and I've never experienced a more fragile, softer compound windshield than the one in the E60. A seemingly insignificant stone or abrasion causes damage, from a gouge in the glass, to a rapidly growing crack. I had my 'shield replaced at three months because of a huge crack caused by a pinpoint sized chip. After only a week with the new OEM windshield I have numerous pits and pot-marks, and I don't do a lot of heavy freeway driving. Many, many members have posted similar stories. What's up with BMW windshields?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

I just hope that their OEM windshields are slightly stronger so i don't have to go through this again
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributors

perhaps there is a clear glass coating which could be applied to the exterior to protect against chips?

NASCAR uses such films on the racecars.... and 3M makes clear bra. If it can protect the hood, it could protect the glass.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 6 2005, 12:28 PM
yup, my car is going under the scalpel on monday to get the windshield replaced because of a car, getting software upgrade, getting new leather for the passenger seat (they ripped it during the last visit), getting brake noise fixed, and getting the car washed?

should be a brand spanking new car when it comes back from the dealer?
[snapback]124985[/snapback]
What Dealer do you use??
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked