E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windscreen Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Does anyone know why BMW did not make the wipers on the right handrive e60 be the right way round for right hand drive. They are configured in such a way that the arc is left on the drivers side and the passenger gets the clear full edge.

Is this still the case on the 06 model year version? Mine was built 2004/12 I am not bothered but it seems a little sloppy and the first car i've owned like it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by forge197' post='214621' date='Dec 23 2005, 12:21 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone know why BMW did not make the wipers on the right handrive e60 be the right way round for right hand drive. They are configured in such a way that the arc is left on the drivers side and the passenger gets the clear full edge.

Is this still the case on the 06 model year version? Mine was built 2004/12 I am not bothered but it seems a little sloppy and the first car i've owned like it.
They are as efficient as they can be for most of the world.

As I see it the right hand wiper also "takes a turn" for the corner.

Just guess how much it would cost to construct the windsceen wipers
so that they would work in the UK and its old provinces as you want?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='214623' date='Dec 22 2005, 10:26 PM
They are as efficient as they can be for most of the world.

As I see it the right hand wiper also "takes a turn" for the corner.

Just guess how much it would cost to construct the windsceen wipers
so that they would work in the UK and its old provinces as you want?
Appreciate the costs involved but other manufacturers seem to manage, it does "take a turn", if that's the only thing I can find fault with then there ain't alot wrong with it
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by forge197' post='214621' date='Dec 22 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi All,

Interesting question. I wonder too. Curious, what were the other cars that did things vice versa? I had a bug-eyed Autin-Healy Sprite once (probably a 1961). I'm trying to remember if its wipers were reversed for left-hand drive. Regardless, the Sprite, while fun, would not be a car to judge anything by. But, I wish I still owned it.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Members

Interesting question. I wonder too. Curious, what were the other cars that did things vice versa? I had a bug-eyed Autin-Healy Sprite once (probably a 1961). I'm trying to remember if its wipers were reversed for left-hand drive. Regardless, the Sprite, while fun, would not be a car to judge anything by. But, I wish I still owned it.
[/quote]
My parents had a Peugeot 206 and that had the left hand drive wipers in a right hand drive car. All the other cars I have owned had right hand drive wipers for right hand drive cars. It's no big deal but I was a bit suprised. A stunning car though will post pics once i've cleaned it over the weekend.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

mr helsinki must think every country in the world drives on the right, well in fact over 30% drive on the left
Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I've always wondered why BMW don't move the wipers and build the 'shimmy' into the wiper sweep. E39 was the same as well I think. Nearly everyone else - move the wipers across for us Brits !
Old 12-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Strange, some models they do, some they don't. My E46 CSL has them the 'right' way round so does my E30; but the E39 M5 had them the same 'wrong' way round as the E60/1
Old 12-24-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='214838' date='Dec 23 2005, 10:06 AM
mr helsinki must think every country in the world drives on the right, well in fact over 30% drive on the left
No, Santa knows there's a left driving population out there.
The main markets would be only UK in Europe, Australia and Japan + some African countiers...

But I also know that BMW as a company to make money, and they are doing a heck on an job!
The money comes in from happy customers so...
My sympaties goes out for you guys driving from the left side!

Seasons Greetings!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='215179
No, Santa knows there's a left driving population out there.
The main markets would be only UK in Europe, Australia and Japan + some African countiers...

But I also know that BMW as a company to make money, and they are doing a heck on an job!
The money comes in from happy customers so...
My sympaties goes out for you guys driving from the left side!

Seasons Greetings!
[/quote]
I like the left side. Which left side do you mean? My other left?

Quick Reply: Windscreen Wipers