E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windscreen Washer Jet Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

My washer jets on the windscreen have been losing pressure for ages now, about a month ago, they stopped, so i took the pipe off the jets and blew down them to clear the filter. They worked fine for a while, now totally stopped again.

What kind of a job is it to access the pumps and filters in my washer bottle system? Its an '07 pre-LCI 520d SE saloon, without the jets for the headlights. I expect it will involve removing the passenger side inner arch to get to it, does anyone have any info on how this is done please? as i don't fancy paying the dealer to do it...
Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d m sport black, leather beige interior

Yep ur right. Start by turning the wheels to the far left and then move on to remove the inner arch. Just removing the outer bottom screws (2 in all) should give you access to the washer fluid tank. I think you will need something to jack the car up as there is not enough clearance for the pump. I managed to repair a broken sensor this way.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by rene525d
Yep ur right. Start by turning the wheels to the far left and then move on to remove the inner arch. Just removing the outer bottom screws (2 in all) should give you access to the washer fluid tank. I think you will need something to jack the car up as there is not enough clearance for the pump. I managed to repair a broken sensor this way.
Sounds like a lot work just to get to a tank. Why do they build these cars so complicated?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg520d
My washer jets on the windscreen have been losing pressure for ages now, about a month ago, they stopped, so i took the pipe off the jets and blew down them to clear the filter. They worked fine for a while, now totally stopped again.

What kind of a job is it to access the pumps and filters in my washer bottle system? Its an '07 pre-LCI 520d SE saloon, without the jets for the headlights. I expect it will involve removing the passenger side inner arch to get to it, does anyone have any info on how this is done please? as i don't fancy paying the dealer to do it...
If the reverse flush (air blown back through the jets) worked it sounds like you have debris in the tank that is collecting and re-clogging line and / or pump filters. That's one reason for using distilled water and strain water through a filter when refilling.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

I've had to "reverse blow" about once a year now. I remember my E39 had a filter at the filler cap which for some reason BMW dropped from the E60...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Originally Posted by luigi524td
If the reverse flush (air blown back through the jets) worked it sounds like you have debris in the tank that is collecting and re-clogging line and / or pump filters. That's one reason for using distilled water and strain water through a filter when refilling.
Yeah, i use good clean water with the screen wash concentrate, but it would appear that its previous owner has been just throwing anything into the tank, i've only had it 2 months, thats the only thing going wrong at the moment, thank god! Its still got until the end of march with manufacturers warranty, so i'll be trying that route before i get the tools out!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I hope these pics might be of use to you. Car is 2008 535i without headlight washers. The pump motor is located close to the bottom on the side of the tank facing the tire. The tank in the pics is filled with yellow Rain-X. The inner fender is pliable and bendable. I believe only four parts were remvoed for these shots: bumper, headlight, fender, fender liner.
Attached Thumbnails Windscreen Washer Jet Failure-front-left-disassembled-3.jpg   Windscreen Washer Jet Failure-front-left-disassembled.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Members

Thanks for the info guys, its booked into the garage on Friday, so lets see what they say, i've given instructions that if its included in warranty, fix it, if not, put it back together, i'll pick it up and do it myself...
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

You don't have to go and crash your car to get to the windscreen washer water tank like in Gilgorm pics!! Part removal of the wheel arch liner allows access per Rene525d.

I found it best to avoid windscreen washer additive added to plain tap water as the tap water contains traces of algae which grow and block tubes and jets. Best to use ready mixed or additive in distilled water.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Members

I just purchased the BMW concentrate after using the cheap stuff form auto stores. I have to tell you there is a big difference that is worth the slightly extra price.
The BMW concentrate atomizes into small droplets compared to the stream you get from the cheap stuff and it cleans the glass streak free.
When I went to the parts service area the BMW techs were pouring the in the cheap stuff for their customers and I thought it was a shame that they do not use the stuff from BMW.
I am all about saving money but for $3.00 it was well worth it.

Quick Reply: Windscreen Washer Jet Failure