E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windows Moulding/Trim Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='638726' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:31 PM
To the previous two posts above this one -- thanks!

And Bradleyjs, who is your SA at Fields? I cannot write enough positive adjectives to describe our experiences with Brian Menihan. He's one of the many reasons why I can't imagine buying any other premium-type car here in Orlando. When I read horror stories of bad service, dealer attitudes, etc. here in the forums it makes me that much more grateful for how he's always taken care of anything we needed. He's a true advocate for quality customer service, as well as a genuine BMW enthusiast.

If this part can be replaced without taking out the glass as described above, I'd definitely look into that in a heartbeat. Again, can't be too much money. You know what's odd though? We both have 06's, but mine doesn't seem to look like yours. Yours looks to have a rubber 'lip' on both sides of the trim molding that goes across the top of the glass. Mine has nothing I can see along its bottom edge and the rubber that's along its top is all tucked inside. It's definitely not as wide as yours -- much narrower and appears more flush with the glass. The only thing with any real sun exposure is this rubber trim piece that outlines the top. I checked mine and it's still soft and pliable when you push down on it -- seems brand new actually although I know it's the original.

GL, and definitely ask for Brian. Tell him "Mike, the guy who wants your car" sent you. (Although after all my recent mods he now wants mine ...)

Oh, yeah, and if you need service outside of Fields, give High Line a try. Virtually everyone I know here in Windermere with a German or other European car takes their cars there. Their number is 407-877-3841 and Riccarde is the Service Manager. I won't go anywhere else. Very reasonable rates, fair, honest, and they know their stuff.

Thanks for the input. My SA is Chris Yurocko and he's really helped me out a few times - for free!. Post a pick of your windows I'm curious to see what the differences are.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='639185' date='Aug 4 2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the input. My SA is Chris Yurocko and he's really helped me out a few times - for free!. Post a pick of your windows I'm curious to see what the differences are.
I've replaced the windshield moulding on our E38 and my old E39. The only difficult part is lining up the new moulding so it fits correctly. Other than that it is a fairly easy job. Just remember, DO NOT USE ANY METAL TOOLS NEAR THE GLASS. Use a plastic scraper or a wood popsicle handle to help lever the old one out.

-felix