E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows Moulding/Trim Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Down in FL the window moulding always deteriorates -- can anybody recommend what I can to do prevent/slow down the process?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='638062' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:54 AM
Down in FL the window moulding always deteriorates -- can anybody recommend what I can to do prevent/slow down the process?
My guess would be too much sun dries out the rubber seals. Initial thought would be to lube them using a rubber-safe silicone lubricant. I'll let others chime in with their experience.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='638064' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:59 PM
My guess would be too much sun dries out the rubber seals. Initial thought would be to lube them using a rubber-safe silicone lubricant. I'll let others chime in with their experience.
+1.

The car should be under warranty still. Get the seals changed.

There has been a lot of problems reported with the inner seals as well.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Thanks guys, I'll look for some lubricant and query the SA about it. I cover the car everyday to hide it from the sun as well.

When I used to fly rubber powered balsa airplanes (as a kid) I recall that using Glycerin on the rubber-band and that would make it last longer -- would this help too?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

I'm still welcome to more input if anyone has it.. Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='638127' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm still welcome to more input if anyone has it.. Thanks!!

I just noticed this product endorsed by another site member for the door seals squeaking issue and it seems like it would do a good job coating the rubber without being so messy that it quickly washes off and leaves a film on your windows. I think that's the biggest challenge for anything you'll be looking for.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/wurucagelst.html

Btw, before I replaced my Florida-kept E39 I was considering replacing the front and back window gaskets and was surprised by how inexpensive it was. Consider looking into this via Garry from Newport for the item and then seeing if there's an independent shop in Orlando than can change it out for you. I use High Line Cars in Windermere and can't say enough positive things about this small shop. They service all of my family members' older BMW models including our 02 X5. If they can't do the work, at least they'll know who to recommend.

Have you owned the car since new and has it always been covered? I ask because my 2006 530i's gaskets show no signs of age at all, but it's always been in a garage and is never parked outside during the day except for short periods.

Also, I was only going to replace my E39's for appearance reasons. Yes, they looked a little frayed at the edges like yours, but upon closer examination it was truly the edges and not the actual seal. Maybe some preventative maintenance from the above product will keep them from getting any worse now that you're keeping it covered?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='638135' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:51 PM
I just noticed this product endorsed by another site member for the door seals squeaking issue and it seems like it would do a good job coating the rubber without being so messy that it quickly washes off and leaves a film on your windows. I think that's the biggest challenge for anything you'll be looking for.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/wurucagelst.html

Btw, before I replaced my Florida-kept E39 I was considering replacing the front and back window gaskets and was surprised by how inexpensive it was. Consider looking into this via Garry from Newport for the item and then seeing if there's an independent shop in Orlando than can change it out for you. I use High Line Cars in Windermere and can't say enough positive things about this small shop. They service all of my family members' older BMW models including our 02 X5. If they can't do the work, at least they'll know who to recommend.

Have you owned the car since new and has it always been covered? I ask because my 2006 530i's gaskets show no signs of age at all, but it's always been in a garage and is never parked outside during the day except for short periods.

Also, I was only going to replace my E39's for appearance reasons. Yes, they looked a little frayed at the edges like yours, but upon closer examination it was truly the edges and not the actual seal. Maybe some preventative maintenance from the above product will keep them from getting any worse now that you're keeping it covered?
Thanks for your input. I think that I'll order a can of the rubber protoectant that you recommended. I went to Advance Auto Parts yesterday and got a spray can of silicone protectant and applied it as a temp solution.

I had a '99 540i/6 for 6+ years and the front windshield moulding completely deteriorated over that time. I bought replacement moulding from Fields, but never spent the money to have it replaced... and it never leaked. In fact, when I sold the car in I gave it away.

I'm the 2nd owner of my 550i and I've had it for 8 months now and I noticed that the rear moulding was staring to break down when I bought it....been keeping a eye on it.

Have a good one!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 01.2005 E60 525iA: DynamicDrive, ActiveSteering, Sport Package, Premium Package.

You can buy replacement for this cover and easy replace it by hands. According to TIS, no need to remove glass for replacing!

For sedan:
COVER, WINDSHIELD 51 31 7 166 841
REAR WINDOW COVER 51 31 7 027 916 (51 31 7 057 415 if you have CLIMATE COMFORT LAMINATED GLASS OR PROTECTIVE GLAZING)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributors

That should be covered by warranty. It's hot and sunny in Florida but BMW sells cars in places that are HOTTER!

After replacement I'd look for a good quality plastic/vinyl protection product that offers UV protection - plain silicone spray won't provide that. And, like sunblock for humans, it probably will wash off over time - reapply periodically.

Wurth products are very good and the rubber protectant in a previous post is good for moldings and rubber door gaskets. It will also provide some surface rejuvenation - but it will not prevent UV degradation. 303 Products might be your better choice and since you're in Florida you can get these at most boat supply stores.
Attached Thumbnails Windows Moulding/Trim Deteriorating-303.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

To the previous two posts above this one -- thanks!

And Bradleyjs, who is your SA at Fields? I cannot write enough positive adjectives to describe our experiences with Brian Menihan. He's one of the many reasons why I can't imagine buying any other premium-type car here in Orlando. When I read horror stories of bad service, dealer attitudes, etc. here in the forums it makes me that much more grateful for how he's always taken care of anything we needed. He's a true advocate for quality customer service, as well as a genuine BMW enthusiast.

If this part can be replaced without taking out the glass as described above, I'd definitely look into that in a heartbeat. Again, can't be too much money. You know what's odd though? We both have 06's, but mine doesn't seem to look like yours. Yours looks to have a rubber 'lip' on both sides of the trim molding that goes across the top of the glass. Mine has nothing I can see along its bottom edge and the rubber that's along its top is all tucked inside. It's definitely not as wide as yours -- much narrower and appears more flush with the glass. The only thing with any real sun exposure is this rubber trim piece that outlines the top. I checked mine and it's still soft and pliable when you push down on it -- seems brand new actually although I know it's the original.

GL, and definitely ask for Brian. Tell him "Mike, the guy who wants your car" sent you. (Although after all my recent mods he now wants mine ...)

Oh, yeah, and if you need service outside of Fields, give High Line a try. Virtually everyone I know here in Windermere with a German or other European car takes their cars there. Their number is 407-877-3841 and Riccarde is the Service Manager. I won't go anywhere else. Very reasonable rates, fair, honest, and they know their stuff.

Quick Reply: Windows Moulding/Trim Deteriorating