E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window Trap warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by coolrda545' date='Jun 19 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm having this same problem. Started a few days after tinting the windows. I assumed this was the problem. Recently upgraded to 16.1. Only effecting driver's window.
[snapback]140935[/snapback]
Hi,
I'm from spore. Im have the E60 and have the same problem mentioned. Initially, they just do some reset blameing on setting. It happens again and I sent back complaining. This time round, three controllers were replaced ( have to trust their words). Last few days, this anti-trap warning still happened but much less frequent. Hope the new software revision would resolve this.
Let us know for those drivers who have problem with anti-trap and receive new 17.1 version.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Jun 17 2005, 09:28 PM
[quote name='Jerzguju' date='Jun 17 2005, 07:32 PM']I was trying to shut my driver side window and it wouldn't go up with the one touch feature...so then i manually held the switch up....and the trap window warning came up....what the hell is it?
[snapback]140610[/snapback]
I had my driver window fixed because it would roll up and then go back down, because it thought it had hit an obstruction or something. They replaced the controller and re-initialized the window.

1 week later I got the same warning that you describe in my I-Drive and it disabled the one touch feature.

I will call my service rep. on monday and will have to bring it back in.
:'(
[snapback]140626[/snapback]
[/quote]

My window trap warning disappeared. It had been in my iDrive the whole time (4-5 days) and the one touch feature had been disabled.

This morning my wife helped me load stuff into my car, and she opened the car with her keys. Afterwards I used my keys to drive off and the warning was gone. The one touch feature is working again, too. This is totally strange.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:20 PM
How does the anti-trap window work?? I tried using the one touch close and putting my hand in between the glass and it didnt stop!

Then I tried holding down the window to see if it stops but it didnt!!!! I was using a lot of pressure too and I heard the motor strain but it was still closing and was going to cut my hand off!!!
[snapback]140634[/snapback]

On some of the older model BMW's (like my previous M3) the anti trap feature worked anywhere from the bottom of the travel all the way to the top, so that if you put your hand in the way even when it was just starting to roll up from the bottom it would stop. However, on my wife's X5 the anti trap feature only works in the top end of the travel. So if you hold your hand in the way when the window is going up it doesn not stop UNLESS it is reaching the top third or so of the travel. I tried holding my hand up against the top frame and the window hit it and pulled back. It was not very gentle, but it did work. I don't remember whether I have checked this on my E60, but it may work like the X5. Maybe it did not stop because you tried to stop it while it was not in the top end of the travel.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Contributors

I had this anti trap warning come up once for the rear right window. Not only did the one touch feature not work but even holding the button manually only took the window up or down 2 inches at a time. Also, the warning massege would come up every time that I started the car. I remembered that there was a reset procedure for resetting windows so I tried it. The reset procedure is to roll the window all the way down and the roll it all the way up and hold the switch activated for another 5 or 10 seconds after the window moves up all the way. I tried this (down and up and held the switch activated for about 8 seconds) and it reset the system and solved the problem. In my case, since the window was only moving 2 inches at a time I had to roll it down and up in many steps and hold the switch activated after the last step.

I would suggest that whoever is having any problems with the windows or anti trap warnings try this reset procedure first before going to the dealer.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:26 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:20 PM']How does the anti-trap window work?? I tried using the one touch close and putting my hand in between the glass and it didnt stop!

Then I tried holding down the window to see if it stops but it didnt!!!! I was using a lot of pressure too and I heard the motor strain but it was still closing and was going to cut my hand off!!!

On some of the older model BMW's (like my previous M3) the anti trap feature worked anywhere from the bottom of the travel all the way to the top, so that if you put your hand in the way even when it was just starting to roll up from the bottom it would stop. However, on my wife's X5 the anti trap feature only works in the top end of the travel. So if you hold your hand in the way when the window is going up it doesn not stop UNLESS it is reaching the top third or so of the travel. I tried holding my hand up against the top frame and the window hit it and pulled back. It was not very gentle, but it did work. I don't remember whether I have checked this on my E60, but it may work like the X5. Maybe it did not stop because you tried to stop it while it was not in the top end of the travel.
[snapback]143095[/snapback]
[/quote]

Humm maybe... but i'm afraid to try when its at the top 1/3 of travel... I want my fingers... maybe I'll try it with somthing else... If it doesnt stop I'll have to goto the dealer and get a replacement window...
Old 06-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I have the same problem. Brought it to my dealer and he told me it was probably the tint which was causing the problem. I can;t verify if this is true or not because I am not ready to take my tint off for my passenger side window. I did not believe the service guy because my drivers side window have teh same amount of 30% tint and does not pose any problems.....therefore I have this stupid problem also
Old 06-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jun 26 2005, 03:45 PM
[quote name='rodybmw' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:26 AM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:20 PM']How does the anti-trap window work?? I tried using the one touch close and putting my hand in between the glass and it didnt stop!

[snapback]143095[/snapback]
[/quote]

Humm maybe... but i'm afraid to try when its at the top 1/3 of travel... I want my fingers... maybe I'll try it with somthing else... If it doesnt stop I'll have to goto the dealer and get a replacement window...
[snapback]143202[/snapback]
[/quote]

You can use a rolled up magazine held up against the top frame to test it. If the anti-trap feature is working correctly the window should touch the magazine, squeeze it a bit, and then go back down a couple of inches.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 27 2005, 01:54 PM
You can use a rolled up magazine held up against the top frame to test it.? If the anti-trap feature is working correctly the window should touch the magazine, squeeze it a bit, and then go back down a couple of inches.
[snapback]143548[/snapback]

Haha Ya I know... I'll see if I want to try it or not... I dont want to know... I dont want to goto the dealer if it doesnt work but if I know it doesnt work I'll want to fix it. Ya weird logic...