E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window operation possible after taking a plunge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Just a nasty thought.

In the Netherlands, when you're driving, there often are water surfaces nearby. Sometimes cars take a plunge. There have been horrible stories of people trapped in their cars underwater unable to get out because the electronics died before the windows could be opened.

Does anyone know how E60's would behave upon impacting the water? I know that that if it's a strong impact, the battery will pyrotechnically disconnect. For landing in the water, that seems counterproductive as I think that implies that there is no chance that the windows then can be opened.
And it's important to be able to open the windows: not only would it normally allow you to get out via the window, but if that's difficult because of for instance children on the back seat, you need it to equalize the water pressure inside and outside the car. This would allow the doors to be opened (they do open mechanically). With the windows closed, opening the doors is not possible because of the water pressure on the outside of the doors.

Ideally, one would want the locks and windows to open automatically upon impact. I am not even sure whether the locks would (also important if you want to free young kids from the back seat).

Does anyone know how an E60 would behave upon impacting water? And no, I'm not volunteering to find it out ;-)
Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Members

I do know that it is almost impossible to open the windows if you already have water pressing on the windows, i dont think anyone would have asked this question before to tell the truth , most people dont make it a regular occurance to drop into the water like.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Members

Top Gear did a feature on getting out of a car after submerging, they found that the best method was NOT to wait for the car to sink, fill up and equalise the pressure. The best way out was to get out as fast as possible once you hit the water. Although, I don't know how this plan would work if you had kids strapped in the back.

Mythbusters may have done it also.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Members

id assume getting a window open asap if you ahve kids in there then , you have your work cut out.
But the most obvious answer!!!! Dont drive a car into deep water avoid it!! migth actual help the situation
Old 08-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

It would be nigh on impossible to open a door once a car is submerged, and rolling down the window is therefore the only real option, so Bouke's question has got me a little worried too.

I also take the point about "stay away from deep water" but consider this: I live in Amsterdam. My front door is located 30 feet below sea level, my streets are surrounded by canals (the one across the street from my front door is 45 feet deep), and we still get an average of 1 car a week in a canal somewhere in this city. Extrapolate that to the other main Dutch cities and suburbs with canals, and this would still be a concern. Accidents happen, period.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

The way the car is designed, the pyrotechnics will blow the main (high amperage) battery connection but a smaller (lower amperage) connection remains. The car does unlock all four doors on impact and it activates the four-way hazard flashers.

The following is from the BMW Technology Guide:

Safety battery terminal
The safety battery terminal ensures that the starter high-voltage
circuit is safe from short -circuiting should an accident happen.
Triggered by the airbag control unit, this new terminal disconnects
the starter cable from the battery with a small detonation.
Other electrical systems, such as warning lights and cabin lighting,
possess conventional protective mechanisms and remain connected
to the battery. The single safety battery terminal adds to passive
safety and reduces the threat of fire in the wake of a collision.

I'm not sure about the windows but I do think that this is something that wasn't simply overlooked. If the windows don't operate electrically, smashing one is always an option, I suppose...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

To see the BMW Technology Guide's description (and a small animation) on how the battery terminal works, click the following:
http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/fascinat...alarticleUrlEnd

To see the description of the crash sensor and what it does, click here:
http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/fascinat...orarticleUrlEnd

The text of the crash sensor description is as follows:
Crash sensor
In the event of an accident, the crash sensor activates the hazard warning flashers and overrides the centre lock function of the central locking, allowing the doors to be opened from outside in the interest of rapid help. The system also switches on the interior lights in the process.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

Thumbs up

My friend's wife ordered this safety hammer online, would that help in this under water scenario?
Attached Thumbnails Window operation possible after taking a plunge?-mpihome_soshammer_img.jpg  
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='457385' date='Aug 10 2007, 09:54 AM
My friend's wife ordered this safety hammer online, would that help in this under water scenario?
I've seen these before and sure, it would work in this scenario -- as long as you could find it quickly enough!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Talking

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457384' date='Aug 10 2007, 07:48 AM
To see the BMW Technology Guide's description (and a small animation) on how the battery terminal works, click the following:
http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/fascinat...alarticleUrlEnd

To see the description of the crash sensor and what it does, click here:
http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/fascinat...orarticleUrlEnd

The text of the crash sensor description is as follows:
Crash sensor
In the event of an accident, the crash sensor activates the hazard warning flashers and overrides the centre lock function of the central locking, allowing the doors to be opened from outside in the interest of rapid help. The system also switches on the interior lights in the process.
Thank you Rudy,
WOW, very impressive. Makes me feel better about my car.
If salesmans would know this information, they could sell a lot more cars...

Quick Reply: Window operation possible after taking a plunge?