E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

window anti-trap error/problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Last week, I received the anti-trap message when opening my windows. Since then, the error stays on all the time. The rear left window will only move about 2-3 inches at a time up or down. The other windows are acting odd in general. For example, I just tried to close both front windows completely (one-touch mode), and they both went up half way, then down, exactly in sync. I got the right window to go up on its own, but the driver's window had to be pressed and held to close completely.

My idrive was recently upgraded, and CCC replaced. Any possibility these are related?

I tried the well documented anti-trap reset. All but the rear left window appeared to take. The rear left simply won't move more than 2-3 inches per press. Is there any way to reset the entire window system to default?

This is annoying.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Black/Black 2004 530i w/ Premium & Sport Pkgs.

Originally Posted by schwim' post='474318' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:56 PM
Last week, I received the anti-trap message when opening my windows. Since then, the error stays on all the time. The rear left window will only move about 2-3 inches at a time up or down. The other windows are acting odd in general. For example, I just tried to close both front windows completely (one-touch mode), and they both went up half way, then down, exactly in sync. I got the right window to go up on its own, but the driver's window had to be pressed and held to close completely.

My idrive was recently upgraded, and CCC replaced. Any possibility these are related?

I tried the well documented anti-trap reset. All but the rear left window appeared to take. The rear left simply won't move more than 2-3 inches per press. Is there any way to reset the entire window system to default?

This is annoying.
I had a rear window do the same thing. I took it in under warranty and the SA didn't hesitate to agree to replace the window motor. Occasionally my front passengers side window will go up half way (one touch) and then back down. It hasn't done it again in about a month so who knows. I would encourage you to take it in if you are under a warranty. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If the reset didn't help, it might be a real problem with the motor or the "hall sensor" inside the door. Have the dealer check it out -- especially if you still have a warranty!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='474327' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:23 PM
If the reset didn't help, it might be a real problem with the motor or the "hall sensor" inside the door. Have the dealer check it out -- especially if you still have a warranty!
Yes, about 6 months left on the warranty. Damn these cars can be quirky.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Members

My Ride: Black/Black 2004 530i w/ Premium & Sport Pkgs.

Originally Posted by schwim' post='474359' date='Sep 25 2007, 10:47 PM
Yes, about 6 months left on the warranty. Damn these cars can be quirky.
Make yourself a laundry list of issues for the dealer, even little things like trim pieces that are chipped or peeling! I found them to be quite reasonable about replacing a number of trim pieces inside & outside the car in addition to the window traps.

Goodluck!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kuchar' post='474361' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:50 PM
Make yourself a laundry list of issues for the dealer, even little things like trim pieces that are chipped or peeling! I found them to be quite reasonable about replacing a number of trim pieces inside & outside the car in addition to the window traps.

Goodluck!
Yes, a laundry list is a requirement. I've had the car about a month, a week of which it spent at the dealer getting the rear axle repaired, CCC replaced and upgraded. Hopefully in the remaining 6 months I can build a list long enough to handle everything once the warranty is gone.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Members

I have had this problem severel times. Especially after servicing. I solve this problem that way i move windows down and up for 3-4 times and then it is ok. It?s like introducing windows to the car.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schwim' post='474318' date='Sep 25 2007, 09:56 PM

This is annoying.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributors

I have the same problem and same window with my car. Mine is under warranty as well, but i'm too lazy to bring it in just for the window.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='478362' date='Oct 5 2007, 11:03 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Mine too. I just had the battery changed under warranty today. I got the "Anti-Trap" Windows deactivated message when I got home. I called the dealer and they told me to take the car back to "re-initialize" the system. It is very inconvenient. :thumbsdown:

Authorized BMW dealers must check everything before returning the serviced car back to the customer, especially on electronic related services.

Sean

Quick Reply: window anti-trap error/problem