E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Will cleaning the front and back brake sensors fix squeaky brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I have had my first BMW, a 2004 530i, for about 6 1/2 years now. 81K on the odometer. I have taken immaculate, obssessive care of it. During this time, my BMW has had squeaky brakes for about 6 of the 6.5 years of ownership. It sounds like an old cab, and everyone looks at my car when they hear those annoying squeaky brakes on a ?nice? car.

Way back when it was under factory warranty, the dealer replaced all the brakes and rotors with new ones at around 40K. That was the 1/2 year that I did NOT have squeaky brakes. Now I read that cleaning the brake sensors fixes the squeaky brakes.

I figured I would give it a try, but has anyone else had success with curing squeaky brakes by just cleaning the brake sensors? I still have a lot of pad on the front and back rotors, so I don?t really want to change them out. iDrive says 20K on fronts and backs, plus a visual inspection shows a good amount of pad. I bought new front and back brake sensors and have them ready for when I do need new pads. What is the procedure, pull the sensors out and spray them down real good with brake cleaner? Does this procedure work?

Also, does anyone know the min front and back rotor thickness on a 2004 530i Sport? When it does come time for new pads, I?d rather save money and use the existing rotors rather than buy new ones. I don?t think I brake very hard since I have had these pads for about 40K and there is still a lot left on them.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

According to my SA cleaning the brake dust build up, especially around the sensors, is a factory recommended fix for squeaky brakes. I have had my 05 545i for 2 1/2 years, brakes only squeaked for a few months until I got them fixed under warranty and they have been OK since.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhs525
According to my SA cleaning the brake dust build up, especially around the sensors, is a factory recommended fix for squeaky brakes. I have had my 05 545i for 2 1/2 years, brakes only squeaked for a few months until I got them fixed under warranty and they have been OK since.
Can I just pull the wheels off and spray brake cleaner on everything to clean the dust off?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the sensors dont even touch anything, until the pads wear down.
i think your problem is that you're too light on the brakes, and your pads are getting glazed.
try braking harder from now on, and you'll know you're doing it right, when you have to clean the dust off your rims every week.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

You might have to apply some brake grease to the moving parts and the back of the pads. Unfortunately, you're taking everything apart as if you were changing the pads out.

You basically pull the wheel off, remove the caliper guide bolts and take out the pads. Use the brake grease to lubricate the back of the pads and everywhere the pad mounting bracket comes in contact with the brake caliper. Also grease the guide pins. Put everything back together.

The brake wear sensor is attached to the driver side front and the passenger side rear pads, and as someone has mentioned the wear sensor doesn't come in contact with the rotor so I'm not sure how cleaning it would minimize the squeaking, but you can blast it with brake cleaner whilst you're in there. You don't even have to take out any bolts or other parts to clean the wear sensors so I guess you should try that first.

I'll try and look up the minimum pad a rotor thickness when I get on my other PC.

EDIT: See the attached brake technical data for information concerning minimum thickness, etc.

[attachment=128598:TD Front Brake E60.pdf]
TD Rear Brake Discs E60.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TD Front Brake E60.pdf (13.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

As a new owner of an '08 528i, I was going to post a question about squeaky brakes. Actually, I can't hear them with the windows up. But, when driving with the windows down , I can hear a sort of "pressing sound" of what I assume is the caliper against the rotor, and usually it is accompanied by squeaking. The service menu in the car says 16k until its time for new rear brake pads, and 11k for new front brake pads. I'm due for an oil change in about 1k miles. I think I will have them check them at that time.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

where can i a buy replacement brake pads and rotors for the front and rear?

also do u need a "standard scope"?