E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will BMW eventually allow us to play DVD movies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure with proper software programming, they can also allow DVD movies to be played on the screen in the e60s, using the slot for DVD navigation. If safety is their concern, they can program it such that with the handbrake on, we can watch DVD movies. Will that happen someday?

that would be a cool feature to have...

cheers everybody!!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

yeah, I wish.... obviously they were not thinking ahead while programing the I-drive software..... good IT programmers in Munich but no user friendly thinkers... they need to find a programmers who actually are cars enthusiats not only computer geeks
Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

That would be great!!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 AM
caf
Members

At the Consumer Electronic show recently, Delphi showed a new screen. I'm not sure how it works; it may be polarized or something, but the end result is that the driver sees one image on his screen, and from the passenger angle, a different image is seen. So with only one screen on the dash, the driver could be using traditional I-drive, and the passenger could be watching a movie.

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60 Fleet Edition

I don't think it is possible without additional hardware. The programmers already had problems decoding MP3 files while the navigation map is showed.
Decoding DVDs MPEG2 with software is much more hardware demanding!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

This will require a whole bunch of new hardware fitted. I don't think it is possible to retrofit. Maybe new cars?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

This isn't a BMW issue. There's a US reg that says DVD/TV playing can't happen in a display that is viewable by the driver.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' post='233534' date='Feb 2 2006, 12:35 PM
This isn't a BMW issue. There's a US reg that says DVD/TV playing can't happen in a display that is viewable by the driver.
... unless the vehicle is in Park.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='233670
[/quote]

Ah--wasn't aware of that. Are there any US cars that have this capability?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' post='233678
Originally Posted by stream' post='233534' date='Feb 2 2006, 12:35 PM
Ah--wasn't aware of that. Are there any US cars that have this capability?
[/quote]

No, I think just those aftermarket in-dash decks. Someone was explaining to me just the other day that the car needed to be in park or something - that even those units won't play a DVD unless that requirement is met.

Quick Reply: Will BMW eventually allow us to play DVD movies?