E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Will 4 mounted tires fit in an E60? (non-folding rear seats)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a PPI done tommorrow on a 2009 535i, and if all goes well, I'll be flying south to pick it up and drive it home, shod with new winter wheels and tires (Tire Rack), and the factory wheels mounted with new (non-run-flats) inside the car, I hope.

Will 4 mounted tires fit inside an E60 and if so, where? Two in the trunk and two in the backseat? (If so, I better pack using only very collapsible bags. I have to leave the passenger seat free for... my passenger.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Sure.

If you have staggered setup, put one rear and one front wheel in the trunk and two in the back seat.

Make sure to bag them.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

yup just did it with my staggered 2 in trunk 2 in back seats.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Members

Thanks guys. Yes, they are staggered 18" Star Spoke style 124's. I agree entirely about bagging them. I imagine they'd get quite aromatic (not to mention hard on the leather) otherwise.

Did the same thing almost 7 years ago when I bought my 2000 528iT. Of course, with the Touring, I was able to put all four on the folded-down back seat. Quite a drive from Texas to the east coast of Canada.

Love my E39, but she's been needing a lot of attention, and it would be unrealistic to think that's going to change.
Test drove a few Merc's, a CTS, and some Infiniti M's but none of them feel like a Bimmer. Drove a couple 3's, and while they're nimble, they seem a bit small and somewhat less refined than the 5.

Was tempted by the GT - more nimble than a car that big has the right to be, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that the F11 will eventually make it to our shores.

In the meantime, looking forward to E60. I know it's not likely to be as trouble-free as an Infiniti, but notwithstanding all the glowing road test reports about them, they just don't seem nearly as 'involving' to drive as the E60 (or E39).

Supplementary question - will the wheels lie one on top of the other in the trunk? (Just wondering how much room will be left for other stuff we'll take on the trip.)

Roger
Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

U guys can fit 2 on the trunk? hmm I fit my 166 one in the trunk, 3 in the back seat ( 2 of them stacked on top of each other)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RogerE61
Thanks guys. Yes, they are staggered 18" Star Spoke style 124's. I agree entirely about bagging them. I imagine they'd get quite aromatic (not to mention hard on the leather) otherwise.

Did the same thing almost 7 years ago when I bought my 2000 528iT. Of course, with the Touring, I was able to put all four on the folded-down back seat. Quite a drive from Texas to the east coast of Canada.

Love my E39, but she's been needing a lot of attention, and it would be unrealistic to think that's going to change.
Test drove a few Merc's, a CTS, and some Infiniti M's but none of them feel like a Bimmer. Drove a couple 3's, and while they're nimble, they seem a bit small and somewhat less refined than the 5.

Was tempted by the GT - more nimble than a car that big has the right to be, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that the F11 will eventually make it to our shores.

In the meantime, looking forward to E60. I know it's not likely to be as trouble-free as an Infiniti, but notwithstanding all the glowing road test reports about them, they just don't seem nearly as 'involving' to drive as the E60 (or E39).

Supplementary question - will the wheels lie one on top of the other in the trunk? (Just wondering how much room will be left for other stuff we'll take on the trip.)

Roger

Not stacked in the trunk. Rear wheel flat pushed to the back corner of the trunk, and the front wheel at an angle in the front opposite corner, leaning on the other tire. It's takes a couple of times to figure it out. You can pack a bag in the opposite back corner of the trunk. I usually put the other two wheels upright in the back seat, one in front of the other. Block them in so they don't roll around, and you'll have 2/3 of the back seat clear for other stuff.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ADD
Not stacked in the trunk. Rear wheel flat pushed to the back corner of the trunk, and the front wheel at an angle in the front opposite corner, leaning on the other tire. It's takes a couple of times to figure it out. You can pack a bag in the opposite back corner of the trunk. I usually put the other two wheels upright in the back seat, one in front of the other. Block them in so they don't roll around, and you'll have 2/3 of the back seat clear for other stuff.

Perfect. Exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks very much.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Originally Posted by RogerE61
I'm having a PPI done tommorrow on a 2009 535i, and if all goes well, I'll be flying south to pick it up and drive it home, shod with new winter wheels and tires (Tire Rack), and the factory wheels mounted with new (non-run-flats) inside the car, I hope.

Will 4 mounted tires fit inside an E60 and if so, where? Two in the trunk and two in the backseat? (If so, I better pack using only very collapsible bags. I have to leave the passenger seat free for... my passenger.

Thanks.
Do you not have problems with taxes,warranty etc,bringing the car into Canada from the US? I had thought of this in the past,but ultimately didn't because of the above.Thanks for your insight.
Jeff
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

If your back seats fold down, you can just barely fit 4 tires flat.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i once got my 20 wheels and tires all into my car for a trip to the tire shop...

i took the subs out of the trunk, carefully placed on wheel in there, two wheels in the back seat and one wheel up front in the passenger seat. they were 20 x 9 and 20 x 10.5 wheels/tires

Quick Reply: Will 4 mounted tires fit in an E60? (non-folding rear seats)