E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

why so many problems???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are there so many problems with the E60?? most of them are software. ive never seen a bmw with so many problems.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Software is based on Windows...
That's why...
Old 06-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

I think a lot of it comes from the necessity of having many third parties contribute software modules for the car - such as Bluetooth, mp3, voice activation, satellite radio (US), navigation etc., and then having to integrate them into one coherent system.

Many of today's software "standards" are very fluid and while BMW will have tried desperately to put a stake in the ground during the car's development, it only takes one industry standard to change and whammo, the whole integration is shot and has to be rewritten.

Hence we've seen delays and deletions to options that have been "promised" in the brochures.

You're right, nearly all of the problems are software based, (ask Mercedes they've had a similar number of problems around their COMAND system), but because they are software, take heart that many of them can be solved in the near future (what we all keep telling ourselves ). There are many more manufacturers with more fundamental problems - their cars are crap to drive.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Members

Show me any new software that didn't have bugs. The question should not be why there are so many problems, but why it is taking so long to get things fixed. The E60 has been shipping since September 03 it is June 04, and I feel very little progress has been made. The funny thing is that fixing these things will only bring BMW more $$$. I'd love to give BMW the almost $3K needed to retrofit Nav, Sirius and phone, but so far they have been unresponsive and unwilling to take my money.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Thumbs down

Come on guys... If it wasn't for message boards like this most of this stuff would never make it out. From talking to my service center. Out of 100 cars delivered, 2 had a major SW issue. They have NO cars in lemon law or continual failure issues.

We need to remember that this is a first year model with a new MASK/CCC computer.

I'm not saying that issues don't happen, but BMW is being pretty reasonable to resolve issues. Alot of the moaners on roadfly, post their long winded complaints without even letting their service center or BMW NA (or their local BMW corporate) know what's going on.

So far it seems that ALL issues for 04 spec cars have been addressed. If anyone still has recurring issues, V12 should clear most of them. If NOT ensure your dealership replaces the CCC/MASK, etc, etc. Service centers are to work issues until resolution. BMW AG/BMW NA pays for ANY warranty work needed to get the car to top quality. I will accept the fact that some service centers are worse than others, but I won't accept the fact that BMW AG isn't trying to close issues.

For the limitation issues (e.g. Sat+NAV, Bluetooth+Assist, etc) we have ourselves to blame for being so trusting on retrofits to early on.

Let's use these message boards as a common vehicle to address our concerns to conclusion and get a top notch vehicle. Not just bitch and moan.... Compare to Roadfly I can't think of a single post here that I would consider fits into this catergory. If you do have issues, please post here with AS MUCH detail as you can and I'm sure we as a community can give advice to help resolve such issues.

Anyone want to flame me or comment any further?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Icy
Members

NickP,

Completely agree with your analysis. I've learned a great deal on this board because almost everyone here seems to be an adult and can converse in a civilized manner. In almost every post there is something there for me.

I'd like to see that continue.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

My car sounds like a model T. The stealer says it's the normal operation of the electronic thermostat and refuses to do anything about it.

BMWUSA is useless as well.

Piece of sh-T.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Icy' date='Jun 30 2004, 11:10 PM
NickP,

Completely agree with your analysis. I've learned a great deal on this board because almost everyone here seems to be an adult and can converse in a civilized manner. In almost every post there is something there for me.

I'd like to see that continue.
This is the exact reason why I am here and not on roadfly or bimmerfest. To many people over there flaming each other. I would like to ask lomag to keep a good eye on this board. Trolls should be banned and posts deleted that offend others on this board.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by NickP' date='Jul 1 2004, 06:07 AM
Anyone want to flame me or comment any further?
Flame you ??? For what ???
I totally agree with you!

I'm not even reading the RF board anymore. I moved to this board because I hate these stupid trolls and I can't stand those flame wars!

Speaking about my car... I had ONE problem what had to do with BMW (windshield/buzzing sound on high speeds = glue replaced = fixed!) and that problem was solved over night !!!

All other problems I had were probs with aftermarket things, and my dealer messed something up. But NO SOFTWARE PROBLEMS yet. I have my car for 6 weeks now.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 1 2004, 07:06 AM
[quote name='NickP' date='Jul 1 2004, 06:07 AM'] Anyone want to flame me or comment any further?
Flame you ??? For what ???
I totally agree with you![/quote]
I am in 100% agreement, and have NO issues with my car.

James

Quick Reply: why so many problems???