E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why replace brake sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Why replace brake sensors when installing new pads and rotors? I understand pads and rotors get worn out from braking, but do sensors really go bad?

BTW, I'm putting on Zimmerman solid oem-comparable rotors, any bad reviews? I'm not an aggressive driver by any means and just want solid stopping power for a good value. I'm paying a total $285 for a set of 4, no tax, no shipping.

Sensors are like $33 each though. I'll go ahead and buy'em if someone can suggest a reason to. Thanx.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if your pads wear down to the sensors, then you have to replace. otherwise you dont have to.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

u can get the sensors on ebay for about $25 for both shipped (one for front, one for rear)... The sensors dont have to be replaced if they dont touch the rotor but once they touch they wear out and need to be replaced. my rear sensor was down to the metal itself so i got the sensors from ebay and all is good. you reset the brake warning via the odometer reset thingy...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by orlee008' post='1092058' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:55 PM
u can get the sensors on ebay for about $25 for both shipped (one for front, one for rear)... The sensors dont have to be replaced if they dont touch the rotor but once they touch they wear out and need to be replaced. my rear sensor was down to the metal itself so i got the sensors from ebay and all is good. you reset the brake warning via the odometer reset thingy...

Even if you don't wear the pads down to the sensors, you should still replace tham anyway. All too many times I would get a customer car that just had brakes done at an independant shop who didn't replace the sensors and the brake lining light came on after having new pads and rotors. What happens is the sensors become brittle from the weather and the heat of the brakes and then they crack. They are only made of plastic with metal on the inside. When the sensor wears away the plastic to the metal, the metal grounds out on the rotor, completing the electrical circuit and turns on the light. The sensors are cheap enough that it won't brak your wallet and do you want to have to do the same job twice? There are 2 sensors, one on the drivers front caliper and one on the passenger rear caliper.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr' post='1096409' date='Jan 23 2010, 06:23 PM
Even if you don't wear the pads down to the sensors, you should still replace them anyway. All too many times I would get a customer car that just had brakes done at an independent shop who didn't replace the sensors and the brake lining light came on after having new pads and rotors. What happens is the sensors become brittle from the weather and the heat of the brakes and then they crack. They are only made of plastic with metal on the inside. When the sensor wears away the plastic to the metal, the metal grounds out on the rotor, completing the electrical circuit and turns on the light. The sensors are cheap enough that it won't break your wallet and do you want to have to do the same job twice? There are 2 sensors, one on the drivers front caliper and one on the passenger rear caliper.
+1 If you're spending good money to install quality brake pads and discs a few extra dollars to do the job right will matter! Should old sensors break away after the installation, the extra time and money to re-do the work will double your cost with increased aggravation!

But as always, that's just my opinion.