E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why limited color combos in countries?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Smile

Geez, that truffle brown leather looks GREAT. Wish it was available here in the US. Why do they tinker around with color combos and make some not available in certain countries? Just seems weird. The US is a total melting pot, maybe one of the most diverse in the world, so why not give the US almost all color options?

For example, I understand why Scandinavian countries may have more cold weather options and how the US won't allow a DVD to play on a Nav in the front seat (those things make sense), but I?m only talking color combos????
Old 09-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest_555' date='Sep 11 2003, 10:08 AM
Geez, that truffle brown leather looks GREAT.? Wish it was available here in the US.? Why do they tinker around with color combos and make some not available in certain countries?? Just seems weird.? ? The US is a total melting pot, maybe one of the most diverse in the world, so why not give the US almost all color options?

For example, I understand why Scandinavian countries may have more cold weather options and how the US won't allow a DVD to play on a Nav in the front seat (those things make sense), but I?m only talking color combos????
It always irritates me when a new BMW model is introduced in the U.S. and we find out that we won't be getting some interior/exterior colors as well as some options availabe in Europe. Just as annoying is the fact that they make up "packages" and don't let you delete or replace individual items within a package. For example, if I get the 530i with sport package I can't order the wheels that come with the 545i sport package in place of the 530i wheels. If I get the 530i premium package I can't delete the Anthracite Maple trim and keep the standard Titan trim instead. In Europe you can order almost anything by itself.

Sometimes you can get lucky and BMW NA will accept some special order items, but there have been some instances that they refused my requests. I wanted to order the suede/cloth combo upholstry and a European exterior color for my M3 in 1995. BMW NA refused my request for the upholstry but said they would give me the European exterior color that I wanted for $1300. I went ahead and requested the special color and almost immediately they changed their minds and said no special order of any kind would be accepted. At the time my salesman received a call from a friend of his who worked as a liason between BMW AG and BMW NA. He said that the special order department of BMW NA was so incompetent that they were messing up customers orders and therefore requested that no more special orders be placed until they can get their act together. Two years after that BMW NA did accept my special order of cloth/velour seats for my E39 528i. But again in 2001 they refused my request for a European exterior color and cloth seats for my X5 because X5 production was just starting and was not in full capacity yet.

So will they accept an special order of Truffle Brown for the E60? I will find out since I think that's the color I will be trying to order. I hope the timing is OK with BMW NA.

rodybmw