E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why i miss my E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is currently in getting the door seals replaced again and various other things done to it.

For the loaner i have an X3. (Im steadily working my way through the range)

This has to be one of THE most expensive headache creators and ass destroyers in existance.

?30,000 will get you a rather lovely leather seat and an 'okish' but not upto bmws normal standards dashboard.

Ample room in the back. All is lovely and delightful. It drives a lot like a car and definitly feels like a BM.

The 2.0 i have is slow as hell and i havnt driven a manual in awhile and had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass it is when in traffic.

However something the engineers seem to have overlooked (and this is somewhat of a massive oversight) is that whilst making it feel like a car to drive they have also made the suspension harder than a goddamn F1 car.

Every single bump or problem in the road and you feel it. I have a headache from my head being thrown forward and then back against the head rest so many times over the past 3 hours of driving.
Passengers complain of feeling ill at times when the road surface worsens because it just doesnt seem to deal with the road conditions at all.

Whilst i sometimes grumbled about the runflats making the ride a bit harsh on my e60 this X3 has given me a whole new insight into what other BM drivers put up with.

Suffice to say. If you have 30 odd grand lying about and want to buy a BMW.. unless you enjoy headaches and repeatedly saying 'FOR CHRIST SAKE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS CAR' do not buy the X3.

Opt instead for the 5.

I cannot wait to get my car back.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='281094' date='May 11 2006, 02:18 PM
My car is currently in getting the door seals replaced again and various other things done to it.

This has to be one of THE most expensive headache creators and ass destroyers in existance.

?30,000 will get you a rather lovely leather seat and an 'okish' but not upto bmws normal standards dashboard.

Ample room in the back. All is lovely and delightful. It drives a lot like a car and definitly feels like a BM.

The 2.0 i have is slow as hell and i havnt driven a manual in awhile and had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass it is when in traffic.

However something the engineers seem to have overlooked (and this is somewhat of a massive oversight) is that whilst making it feel like a car to drive they have also made the suspension harder than a goddamn F1 car.

Every single bump or problem in the road and you feel it. I have a headache from my head being thrown forward and then back against the head rest so many times over the past 3 hours of driving.
Passengers complain of feeling ill at times when the road surface worsens because it just doesnt seem to deal with the road conditions at all.

Whilst i sometimes grumbled about the runflats making the ride a bit harsh on my e60 this X3 has given me a whole new insight into what other BM drivers put up with.
Suffice to say. If you have 30 odd grand lying about and want to buy a BMW.. unless you enjoy headaches and repeatedly saying 'FOR CHRIST SAKE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS CAR' do not buy the X3.

Opt instead for the 5.
Every UK car mag has slated the X3 mainly on build quality and the hard ride. My friend has just bought the 3.0i version in silver grey and it looks really nice and goes and handles like stink.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

That is funny. I just had a Z4 3.0i mannual tranny loaner with the 18" runflats. While it was fun to drive, it was rough as hell and the seats were hard. I mean it beat me to death. Every crevice in the road bounced me around. Not to mention it is so low and hard to get in and out of, as one would expect with a sports car, so no real reason to complain about that. I just can't imagine that as an every day driver.

When I got my car back it was totally amazing how comfortable my car is (comfort seats) and how smooth the ride is (18" runflats too). I now appreciate my active steering more than ever as it is amazing at how easily it steers compared to the Z4. And the V8 power...the Z4 is no match, not even close.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The X3 has been critized a lot and the sales are not good either, except for in Austria.

The car will be facelifted this fall and they have a lot to do.

I really don't get it.
The X5 was and still is a huge success (made in the US) but why the
X3 flopped that bad I do not understand.
The car is built in Austria but that cannot be the reason.

Also the X3 is very expensive, for not much more you can get the X5,
which starts be be aged.

The brand new X5 will be introduced late this year.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='281550' date='May 12 2006, 10:35 AM
That is funny. I just had a Z4 3.0i mannual tranny loaner with the 18" runflats. While it was fun to drive, it was rough as hell and the seats were hard. I mean it beat me to death. Every crevice in the road bounced me around. Not to mention it is so low and hard to get in and out of, as one would expect with a sports car, so no real reason to complain about that. I just can't imagine that as an every day driver.
That is what it is - fun, rough, low sports car, with hard grippy seats and noisy interior. Its a roadster, no a family sedan. I guess you just used to a comfy 5er ride - you should drive a Z3 one day - its even more brutal than Z4! But great fun.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

As we all know the E60 is the best car around
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='281094' date='May 11 2006, 02:18 PM

Opt instead for the 5.
Wait until you open the sunroof ALL the WAY out. The interior sounds like a jet engine because of poor design with wind noise and circulation. Man, the X3 has got the be the biggest flop vehicle. Everytime I see someone driving an X3 without a loaner sticker, I feel sorry for the owner.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='281656' date='May 12 2006, 03:24 PM
That is what it is - fun, rough, low sports car, with hard grippy seats and noisy interior. Its a roadster, no a family sedan. I guess you just used to a comfy 5er ride - you should drive a Z3 one day - its even more brutal than Z4! But great fun.
You are fortunate to have both. I with I did.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='281852' date='May 13 2006, 02:47 PM
You are fortunate to have both. I with I did.
The E60 with non-runflats is just a great fusion of enough stiffness to handle and enough comfort to waft you around I love the ride of my E60 and even though the tyres are the same type I am sure the ride is better with the 128's than the 172's style wheels might just be preception

Not been in an X3 not a fan of it and based on the the above I won't go in one in a hurry