E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why I don't like manual mode with the steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='933295' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:04 PM
Don't you ever drive round sweeping curves and want to hold the gear until you reach the end of the curve and then be immediately on the gas to accelerate? The alternative (when you've got an auto box) is to slow down more and take the curve slowed and then rely on kickdown to change gear when you exit the curve. Highly inefficient.

I never use manual/steptronic when I'm stuck in a traffic jam or exiting the driveway, or driving slow and boring (but not out of choice). If it's "spirited driving" then it's manual mode all the way.
i always use DS for that. it's in lower gear so when i need it it's there.. what u described is one way of doing it but i just didn't get used to it. i wish i could have manual after all. but since my wife driving it once in a while i have auto
Old 07-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

There is no substitue for a manual gear box, im sorry boys but the auto is just rubbish, its the same one i have in the RRS and i just leave that in drive!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I had some difficulty with this too at first. It just isn't intuitive like a manual, I don't know why. I do use manual on the back roads, to slow going into curves and provide that acceleration through the curve and coming out...but I still find sometimes I have to brake before the curve in order not to over-rev when I downshift (something I never had to do with the manual). The effect is a little...sloppy. And I do tend to watch the RPMs just to be sure, where with a manual you would just know...

So, yeah, it's a compromise for sure...
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I use my Step's manual mode a lot. It is really useful during ultra-aggressive driving in twisty/hilly driving such as during meets. On the twisty roads, I alternate between M2 and M3 with the engine screaming -- a beautiful sound. The manual mode is excellent in holding a gear during hard cornering. I know to upshift or downshift based on engine revs and it is a lot more responsive than the manual gate in my prior car (Infiniti M45 Sport). If you get the hang of the feel of the transmission, you can easily avoid the forced, automatic upshifting that occurs in the manual mode when you hit the gas and get to the redline.

No one would mistake the Step for a SMG or a manual but as automatic transmissions go, it's excellent.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

I have similar problems in our Z4. Yes I know, Z4 automatic?!?

Coming up to a junction, you go for 2nd just as the car does likewise, so you end up getting 1st!

As a manual driver, I always drive in manual mode, except in tight urban situations when it's easier to leave in auto rather than looking to see what gear you're in....
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='933402
If you get the hang of the feel of the transmission, you can easily avoid the forced, automatic upshifting that occurs in the manual mode when you hit the gas and get to the redline.
No you can't. It will always upshift when it hits the redline no matter what you're doing.

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='933454' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:20 AM
No one would mistake the Step for a SMG or a manual but as automatic transmissions go, it's excellent.
+1
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='933644' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:20 AM
Yes you did Moreso in fact. The (real) manual doesn't offer any over-rev protection on downshift so you had to brake MORE with it than you do with the automatic in manual mode, which will ignore your request to downshift until you've braked enough. It's the better and safer of the two options when it comes to downshifting, and both require you to brake, the manual moreso.

No you can't. It will always upshift when it hits the redline no matter what you're doing.

+1
You can avoid a redline-induced upshift of manually upshifting or taking your feet off the gas (or giving it less gas) just before it hits the redline. Once you have the feel of the trans, you have a good idea of when it is about to do a forced upshift.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='933820' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:22 AM
You can avoid a redline-induced upshift of manually upshifting or taking your feet off the gas (or giving it less gas) just before it hits the redline. Once you have the feel of the trans, you have a good idea of when it is about to do a forced upshift.
Something tells me Scott knows a thing or two about the red line on his car

How was the drive this weekend, btw?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933822' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:41 AM
Something tells me Scott knows a thing or two about the red line on his car

How was the drive this weekend, btw?
I didn't end going on the drive. Instead, I took Victor to Great Adventure on Saturday and Sunday and we rode roller coasters. The smile on his face on the roller coasters is worth every second.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='933820' date='Jul 6 2009, 12:22 PM
"Just before" = +1

Quick Reply: Why I don't like manual mode with the steptronic