E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why I don't like manual mode with the steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up until I bought my 525d, I've always had a manual transmission car. I've been trying to use the manual step mode on the 525d but I'm not getting on with it and I think it is down to the fact that it automatically downshifts for you. Because of this auto downshifting, it is hard to instinctively know which gear you are in which means I'm frequently looking down at the display. In a proper manual car you know instinctively as you downshift yourself.

With the 525d in manual mode, I'm either looking down at the display or spending a portion of my attention to listening for it downshifting. Both of these take away my attention to the road and surroundings which makes me feel uncomfortable and take away the enjoyment of the manual gear experience.

For this reason, I seem to leave it in D mode 99% of the time. What is everyone else's experience like?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='933214' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:21 PM
Up until I bought my 525d, I've always had a manual transmission car. I've been trying to use the manual step mode on the 525d but I'm not getting on with it and I think it is down to the fact that it automatically downshifts for you. Because of this auto downshifting, it is hard to instinctively know which gear you are in which means I'm frequently looking down at the display. In a proper manual car you know instinctively as you downshift yourself.

With the 525d in manual mode, I'm either looking down at the display or spending a portion of my attention to listening for it downshifting. Both of these take away my attention to the road and surroundings which makes me feel uncomfortable and take away the enjoyment of the manual gear experience.

For this reason, I seem to leave it in D mode 99% of the time. What is everyone else's experience like?
Well, since it is an Auto box, it is designed to shift as to not stall the engine. If you did have to down shift and the car wouldn't do it for you then it wouldn't be an auto box.
Listen to the engine and get used to how each gear feels. I am always in the right gear, even when not looking at the display, you'll be able to tell what gear you are in after a while.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='933216' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, since it is an Auto box, it is designed to shift as to not stall the engine. If you did have to down shift and the car wouldn't do it for you then it wouldn't be an auto box.
Listen to the engine and get used to how each gear feels. I am always in the right gear, even when not looking at the display, you'll be able to tell what gear you are in after a while.
It might be different in a petrol because of the larger rev range. In the diesel it all sounds too similar. This of course could just be me and I will keep trying to see if I can get used to it but so far I haven't.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='933219' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:27 PM
It might be different in a petrol because of the larger rev range. In the diesel it all sounds too similar. This of course could just be me and I will keep trying to see if I can get used to it but so far I haven't.
Oh yea, that's right. I still think that you will get used to it. In the mean time, give D/S mode a chance it's always in a lower gear and provides a good punch.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

i agree with krozi, i am able to tell what gear im in just from the engine and the way its sounds according to the rpm's. Having a diesel probably does change that quite a bit.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='933214' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:21 PM

But it doesn't downshift automatically unless the speed/revs have really gone down too low for the gear you're in. For example as you approach a stop would you expect it to stay in 4th or 5th? After 10 months of ownership of mine, and using manual mode a lot of the time, I've never once had it downshift on me and be unhappy that it did so. Also, you make it sound like a major distraction to have to "look down" at the display. It's just a few degrees down below your normal line of sight, same as the speedometer.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

I just simply don't use it. I knees moron that drove a Ford Focus auto like a manual. He would put the car in "1" and wait til it was high enough and then switch to "2" and so on. He was an insecure bastard, but for other reasons.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Us using the manual mode on an auto more beneficial for the car - don't see why there would be any point otherwise. Also, wouldn't using manual box put the gearbox through more wear and tear?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

i don't use steptronic either. the only time i use it when i pass the cops and need to slow down without pressing the brake.

in daily routine it's not really useful, my opinion. u can't put it in neutral (technically u can but it's not as easy as with manual). it doesn't give u a feeling of manual at all
Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='933291' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:59 PM
i don't use steptronic either. the only time i use it when i pass the cops and need to slow down without pressing the brake.

in daily routine it's not really useful, my opinion. u can't put it in neutral (technically u can but it's not as easy as with manual). it doesn't give u a feeling of manual at all
Don't you ever drive round sweeping curves and want to hold the gear until you reach the end of the curve and then be immediately on the gas to accelerate? The alternative (when you've got an auto box) is to slow down more and take the curve slowed and then rely on kickdown to change gear when you exit the curve. Highly inefficient.

I never use manual/steptronic when I'm stuck in a traffic jam or exiting the driveway, or driving slow and boring (but not out of choice). If it's "spirited driving" then it's manual mode all the way.

Quick Reply: Why I don't like manual mode with the steptronic