E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why I am going for 545 instead of 550

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

On the issue of a 545 now or a 550 later, here are my thoughts....

I am picking up an ED 545 first week in May. When I first heard about the 550 my initial reaction was, "should I wait a few months?", but then I thought about it, did a little research and some thinking, and here's where I end up:

- In the 7 series, the 0-60 time difference between the 745 and the 750 is one tenth of a second. One or two tenths of a second are virtually meaningless (to me at least).
- There is only a small window in which I find ED desirable due to weather, as well as avoiding peak tourist season; so April, May, June are ideal, and September and early October are secondary choices. Supposedly they will begin production for the 550 in September, but who really knows? Highly unlikely I would be able to schedule a trip for September with any degree of certainty about the car; so that would mean a one year wait for me, pushing until April of '06.
- How will the order process be? Will they hold back 550's from ED when they first introduce it. What will the pricing be?
- I am leasing; the lease rates are very attractive right now....will they be higher with the introduction of the 550? Probably, but who really knows.
- Resale is a legitimate issue, but I am leasing. If I do want to trade or sell, with ED, I have a significantly reduced cap cost on my side.
- As someone wrote in another thread, there will always be something bigger, better, faster, etc.
- It does seem like they have had a few bugs to work out, so I am hopeful my post-week 9 production car will be a bit improved.
- Even though they are (supposedly) just changing the engine for the 550, who knows if the initial production run will have some problems. I am not an expert on this stuff at all; but it is certainly a legitimate question.
- I have a great trip planned, and everything is set. I can't wait!

So for me, it is an easy decision. (I think).

So unless there is some monumental change of perspective in the next few weeks, I will be cruising around in my 545 for at least the next couple of years.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Feb 9 2005, 10:44 PM
On the issue of a 545 now or a 550 later, here are my thoughts....

I am picking up an ED 545 first week in May. When I first heard about the 550 my initial reaction was, "should I wait a few months?", but then I thought about it, did a little research and some thinking, and here's where I end up:

- In the 7 series, the 0-60 time difference between the 745 and the 750 is one tenth of a second. One or two tenths of a second are virtually meaningless (to me at least).
- There is only a small window in which I find ED desirable due to weather, as well as avoiding peak tourist season; so April, May, June are ideal, and September and early October are secondary choices. Supposedly they will begin production for the 550 in September, but who really knows? Highly unlikely I would be able to schedule a trip for September with any degree of certainty about the car; so that would mean a one year wait for me, pushing until April of '06.
- How will the order process be? Will they hold back 550's from ED when they first introduce it. What will the pricing be?
- I am leasing; the lease rates are very attractive right now....will they be higher with the introduction of the 550? Probably, but who really knows.
- Resale is a legitimate issue, but I am leasing. If I do want to trade or sell, with ED, I have a significantly reduced cap cost on my side.
- As someone wrote in another thread, there will always be something bigger, better, faster, etc.
- It does seem like they have had a few bugs to work out, so I am hopeful my post-week 9 production car will be a bit improved.
- Even though they are (supposedly) just changing the engine for the 550, who knows if the initial production run will have some problems. I am not an expert on this stuff at all; but it is certainly a legitimate question.
- I have a great trip planned, and everything is set. I can't wait!

So for me, it is an easy decision. (I think).

So unless there is some monumental change of perspective in the next few weeks, I will be cruising around in my 545 for at least the next couple of years.

Any thoughts?
[snapback]88465[/snapback]
To add one more reason. If you negotiate a good ED price it will greatly impact your monthly payments. The car is depreciated using the MSRP but your rental is calculated using your purchase price. The greater the difference between these two numbers the smaller your payment. Extreme example to illustrate this.

Lets say you negotiate 50K on a 100K car. Its residual after 3 years is 50K. In effect you pay nothing monthly because you will return the car with same value that you paid for it.

So go for it. Get your 545i and you are right about the ED window.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

There will always be something better, faster (and more expensive!) down the line. I didn't want to wait--picked up my '05 545i a few weeks ago and love it.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM

I think it is good to keep existing 545 production otherwise ?? I mean if they replace it with 550 then 545 owners will feel they become past and the name 545 will always let us feel that we have something old ... as 540 became ??

hope BMW keep 545 production eventhough 550 introduced !
Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:58 AM
I think it is good to keep existing 545 production otherwise ?? I mean if they replace it with 550 then 545 owners will feel they become past? and the name 545 will always let us feel that we have something old ... as 540 became ??

hope BMW keep 545 production eventhough 550 introduced !
[snapback]88574[/snapback]
That will not happen.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

if it were me id be patient and wait for the 550 unless your getting a deal on the 545
Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Sometimes good things come to those who wait.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributors

I say find a wife who wants your hand-me-down 545 and get a 550 when they come out.

Insanity.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Feb 10 2005, 02:38 PM
Sometimes good things come to those who wait.
[snapback]88653[/snapback]
If you only know the type of deal fishskis is getting <_< It'd be absolutely stupid for anyone to wait.

beewang
Old 02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Fishskis do you have a connection at your dealer or BMWNA?

Quick Reply: Why I am going for 545 instead of 550