E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why dont the french like the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by ls78000' date='Apr 21 2005, 11:46 AM
Now I think it's time for me to say something. First of all apologies for my bad english. I am french but I work for a big american company therefore my english is probably slighty better than an average french but so much.

I don't know whether I am the only French here or not but as already said the language is for sure a barrier and we also have some good Internet forums here.

Then let me give you some insight on the french automotive market.

The two french car manufacturers (PSA=Peugeot+Citro?n) and Renault share 40% of the local market and much more in entry segments. And BTW they have good cars (much improved in the past) and much cheaper than BMW/Mercedes/Audi by about 20%. However PSA and Renault are NOT very good in premium/luxury cars and, excuding company cars, they don't sell a lot. Audi, BMW, Mercedes are the leaders here on this segment. Also 60% of the cars are diesel here and gas is very expensive therefore small cars are more popular.

We see more BMW 3-series here than Audi and Mercedes, but that's the opposite for the 5-series segment, especially with the new E60. It looks too big and the interior and exterior design is not really liked here compared to Mercedes and Audi. The french like luxury and the BMW image is sport whereas it's luxury for Mercedes and even more with Audi.? The local newspapers are also inciting the consumers in that direction. And that's also true that most of the cabs in Paris are Mercedes because the engines (diesel) have the reputation to me more reliable.

Having said that France is a fantastic country and I love my E60. And the less we have here, the more unique I am !

Hope you understood me and again I really enjoy this forum.

BTW I will get 16.2 next week and let you know.

And I love your country and the americans but sometime I feel sad because the opposite is not often true, even on this forum...

Cheers!
[snapback]117979[/snapback]
Good (objective) reply, ls78000!

so I guessed right on the statement of the luxury vs. sportive image.
The trend is the same in Belgium, i.e. aging population which also typically prefers a Merc vs a BMW (luxury wins against sportive image).
The younger people here drive a 3-series, since it is more affordable.

There's one statement where I can't agree more with you, i.e. "And the less we have here, the more unique I am !"

That's what everyone on this forum tries to achieve I believe, to have a special and if possible even a unique car!
And you definitely do not need to apologize for yr english (which is an understatement).

I have 4-5 american friends although I do not like Bush. But I have no problems with people supporting him. Freedom of speech right!

People should pay attention to what unites them instead of what differentiates them! Life would be much easier.
On this forum this is our love for the E60. Let's focus on that !!!

I think the question used to open this thread has been answered.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:38 PM
I hope he is thick skinned enough to ignore some of the hick, narrow minded and insular posts that perpetuate the disdain that many Europeans have for the Americans.

[snapback]117935[/snapback]
I hope so too. I am not used to these kinds of posts on this board. My parents have a house in France and the french are very kind and friendly people! I love coming there!

There are more E-class mercedes over here then BMW E60 because the E-Class was introduced 3 years ago and the E60 only 1,5 years + they are used as taxi cabs..
Old 04-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:38 AM
I am sorry to say, that this entire thread stinks of the immaturity that many members escaped from at RoadFly.? Starting your post with "sorry if I offend anyone" does not make it less offensive.? We do have at least one member here from Paris who has provided some valuable insight on BMW France and the way they handle their customers.? I hope he is thick skinned enough to ignore some of the hick, narrow minded and insular posts that perpetuate the disdain that many Europeans have for the Americans.

Considering the amount of BMWs in Germany there aren't many Germans on this forum either.? So what exactly is the point here.? And by the way,? there are very few E60s in Italy and Spain too.? Its a relatively big and expensive car.
[snapback]117935[/snapback]
I take my hat off, Hormazd
Old 04-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:37 AM
I hope im not offending no one.

I went to paris a few weeks ago and i couldnt believe how many Merc's i saw, especially the E-class. Probably nearly 100. And i only saw about 2 or3 E60's.

Also there are not many french members on the forum?
[snapback]117701[/snapback]
Here's a flash....The French don't like anything.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

please move this topic to lounge and relabel -
"why the e60 board likes to diss france."
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Originally Posted by rlinger' date='Apr 21 2005, 02:59 PM
please move this topic to lounge and relabel -
"why the e60 board likes to diss france."
[snapback]118050[/snapback]
Good question. Why ?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I knew this thread would wind up this way right from the first post. Please guys... keep the politics to yourselves