E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why dont the french like the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:07 PM

We probably all know the answer to this question. Everything is perception. Why does Audi not sell well in the US? Why are their no Fiats, Renault or Citreons in the US? I have a friend who is Armenian and is not impressed by my BMW at all. In Armenia a luxury car is a Mercedes she was quick to let me know. Then again I'm not particularly concerned with what the French, Armenians or anyone else thinks.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Apr 20 2005, 01:40 PM
[quote name='E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:37 AM']I hope im not offending no one.

I went to paris a few weeks ago and i couldnt believe how many Merc's i saw, especially the E-class. Probably nearly 100. And i only saw about 2 or3 E60's.

Also there are not many french members on the forum?
[snapback]117701[/snapback]
I am sitting here thinking of all kinds of things to say but believe it or not, I've decided not to say anything.

mp0i
USA
[snapback]117755[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm with him.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:53 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:32 PM']Guys,
I know that it's too tempting when it's the French but we should cut it out before it gets out of control.
[snapback]117778[/snapback]

Agreed, otherwise we may make them mad and they will hire us to kick ourselves in the ass
[snapback]117784[/snapback]
[/quote]
Darn tootin', Derrick. Next thing you know they'll start on Texans.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

that is hilarious

the reason you have seen so many e class in paris (i would say 1000 not 100) is that tehy use them as taxi cabs.

The only brand in the world that doesnt allow its cars to be used as taxi cabs is BMW

my 525d E60

I will not comment on french either since let's say they tend to be a bit racist with us tunisian (I know u will tell me that they hate everybody elses as well....)

no comment

cheers
Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:37 PM
I hope im not offending no one.

I went to paris a few weeks ago and i couldnt believe how many Merc's i saw, especially the E-class. Probably nearly 100. And i only saw about 2 or3 E60's.

The easy one: lack of french members on the board. Reason is language. Without wanting to generalise (as there are some french people speaking good english), most french people do not feel comfortable in english.

The 2nd one: BMW vs Mercedes: This is a quote I read on a forum and I think it may be one of the reasons why Mercedes is outnumbering BMW in Paris (unless it was all Merc taxis you have been counting)

C'est vrai que compar? a bmw une mercedes a une ligne beaucoup plus "classe" et un confort et la finition est tres
END QUOTE
For those that did not get this, they find a Merc has a more classy look, more refined and comfortable. It's their right to think that...for me it's mainly a choice of 'driving' (BMW) vs being 'driven' (M.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:37 AM
I hope im not offending no one.

Let's keep it that way..

Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I am sorry to say, that this entire thread stinks of the immaturity that many members escaped from at RoadFly. Starting your post with "sorry if I offend anyone" does not make it less offensive. We do have at least one member here from Paris who has provided some valuable insight on BMW France and the way they handle their customers. I hope he is thick skinned enough to ignore some of the hick, narrow minded and insular posts that perpetuate the disdain that many Europeans have for the Americans.

Considering the amount of BMWs in Germany there aren't many Germans on this forum either. So what exactly is the point here. And by the way, there are very few E60s in Italy and Spain too. Its a relatively big and expensive car.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gadgets' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:20 PM
[quote name='E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:37 AM']I hope im not offending no one.

Let's keep it that way..

[snapback]117913[/snapback]
[/quote]

:thumbsdown:
Old 04-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by arnolds' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:32 AM
[quote name='Gadgets' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:20 PM'][quote name='E60525d' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:37 AM']I hope im not offending no one.

Let's keep it that way..

You. Let them drive Mercs(and Citroens)
Old 04-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Now I think it's time for me to say something. First of all apologies for my bad english. I am french but I work for a big american company therefore my english is probably slighty better than an average french but so much.

I don't know whether I am the only French here or not but as already said the language is for sure a barrier and we also have some good Internet forums here.

Then let me give you some insight on the french automotive market.

The two french car manufacturers (PSA=Peugeot+Citro?n) and Renault share 40% of the local market and much more in entry segments. And BTW they have good cars (much improved in the past) and much cheaper than BMW/Mercedes/Audi by about 20%. However PSA and Renault are NOT very good in premium/luxury cars and, excuding company cars, they don't sell a lot. Audi, BMW, Mercedes are the leaders here on this segment. Also 60% of the cars are diesel here and gas is very expensive therefore small cars are more popular.

We see more BMW 3-series here than Audi and Mercedes, but that's the opposite for the 5-series segment, especially with the new E60. It looks too big and the interior and exterior design is not really liked here compared to Mercedes and Audi. The french like luxury and the BMW image is sport whereas it's luxury for Mercedes and even more with Audi. The local newspapers are also inciting the consumers in that direction. And that's also true that most of the cabs in Paris are Mercedes because the engines (diesel) have the reputation to me more reliable.

Having said that France is a fantastic country and I love my E60. And the less we have here, the more unique I am !

Hope you understood me and again I really enjoy this forum.

BTW I will get 16.2 next week and let you know.

And I love your country and the americans but sometime I feel sad because the opposite is not often true, even on this forum...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Why dont the french like the E60?