E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why doesn't BMW simply copy the Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='264438' date='Apr 4 2006, 03:40 PM
Yup, that's my point exactly. These days, nobody seems to be able to get things working perfectly from the get go. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that if you want high tech, bleeding edge stuff, you'll have to live with some glitches and become a tester so things can work better in the future...
Hey Rudi, these are just undocumented features
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

I do hope my auto headlamps work as well as my 7yr old toyota camry's.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Hmm, let's see...

Japan has tons of experience making reliable mass-produced consumer electronics...like Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

What does Germany have?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='264275' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:32 AM
So why can't companies like BMW just buy a few Japanese cars and copy what they now do best?
They did copy Japan who (with the rest of the far east) re-invented manufacturing and quality control in the last 20 years.

Personally, I just think the software team on the e60 project were not up to the mark... The initial product just didn't work properly and we still have some glitches....

in computing terms the early e60's software was 'beta' at best...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='264287' date='Apr 3 2006, 10:27 PM
I disagree. Spend some time with that Denso NAV unit and try and enter a destination. Try it while parked and try to find a gas station while you're moving (without voice). And I don't find the menu intuative at all. It's so bad my wife won't even use it anymore even after retrofitting voice into it. She also finds the bong sound and directions to be `annoying.' RDS is cute but it's not that useful but then I don't use the radio. Auto headlamps worked better in our BMWs than on our Toyota too. And if your loaner Toyota has ACC try it and see how 'good' that 5mph resolution is. At least it's not as expensive as the BMW's but the BMW has a 1mph resolution and will work it's way to speed while the Toyota is binary. :thumbsdown:

If that Denso NAV unit is the same one that's in the Lexus then I have to agree with ImolaRedM. My dad's lexus nav unit sucks in my opinion. The touch screen is awful and it is a pain to enter directions. The phone system is a pain too. He finally admitted he hates that whole system and is going back to BMW when his lease is up. The biggest reason being he said my car walks all over his LS430 for handling alone, not to mention the whole NAV and Bluetooth unit he likes much better. I hate how the lexus blocks you from so much while driving. I think the quality of the map is much better in the BMW also. The map in the lexus looks like a child drew it.

One thing BMW could do is make the unti faster. It is a little annoying entering directions at times, the unit can be slow.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='264566' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:04 PM
Personally, I just think the software team on the e60 project were not up to the mark... The initial product just didn't work properly and we still have some glitches....
We can blame that one on the team from Redmond. Maybe they should have gone to Cupertino.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='264570' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:16 PM
If that Denso NAV unit is the same one that's in the Lexus then I have to agree with ImolaRedM. My dad's lexus nav unit sucks in my opinion.
More or less it's the same unit. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
jjl
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='264275' date='Apr 3 2006, 09:32 PM
Both of my cars happen to be in the shop this week and I'm driving a loaner Toyota Avalon (from my Porsche dealer - don't ask me why). Now the Avalon is a car that I would NEVER buy, but my god, everything works so well!! The auto wipers just work the right way. The auto headlamps just work the right way. The nav system is unbelievable (with complete voice control). And wonder of wonders, Toyota has figured out how to use RDS to display the radio station frequency, call letters, song name and artist all at same time.

The Japanese have spent years emulating and perfecting much of the "science" of western products. I think that they have been less successful copying the "art" of things like BMW handling. So why can't companies like BMW just buy a few Japanese cars and copy what they now do best? It scares me that they will be left in dust when Japan gets the whole equation right.

I COMPLETELY agree with this post...the Germans are being left in the dust when it comes to interior electronics and overall functionality/reliability of their cars...and it's just a matter of time before they get the driving dynamics/styling down to where it would not make sense to buy German....it's time for the Germans to bite the bullet and strive to emulate the japanese when it comes to electronics and reliability.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='264275' date='Apr 3 2006, 09:32 PM
The Japanese have spent years emulating and perfecting much of the "science" of western products. I think that they have been less successful copying the "art" of things like BMW handling. So why can't companies like BMW just buy a few Japanese cars and copy what they now do best? It scares me that they will be left in dust when Japan gets the whole equation right.
I have to disagree with the BMW handling department. I personally own a Mitsubishi EVO 8 MR which comes with Bilstein shocks from factory, all I did was change out the springs to lower the center gravity, sway bars, strut tower bars, and lower tie bars; the car handles like it's on rail. I have also test driven an M5 last week while the acceleration really impresses me, the handling department didn't give me the "confidence" I was looking for while my EVO gives me that on and off tracks. I am sure the M5 could handle better once the needed parts are install, but with little money spent, the EVO can out handle a stock M5. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='264275' date='Apr 3 2006, 08:32 PM
Both of my cars happen to be in the shop this week and I'm driving a loaner Toyota Avalon (from my Porsche dealer - don't ask me why). Now the Avalon is a car that I would NEVER buy, but my god, everything works so well!! The auto wipers just work the right way. The auto headlamps just work the right way. The nav system is unbelievable (with complete voice control). And wonder of wonders, Toyota has figured out how to use RDS to display the radio station frequency, call letters, song name and artist all at same time.

The Germans (BMW) are too proud to copy or say they copy anybody. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with copying what is good and making it better as long as you don't violate any laws. Makes perfect business sense if you're a pragmatist.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't BMW simply copy the Japanese?