E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why doesn't BMW simply copy the Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of my cars happen to be in the shop this week and I'm driving a loaner Toyota Avalon (from my Porsche dealer - don't ask me why). Now the Avalon is a car that I would NEVER buy, but my god, everything works so well!! The auto wipers just work the right way. The auto headlamps just work the right way. The nav system is unbelievable (with complete voice control). And wonder of wonders, Toyota has figured out how to use RDS to display the radio station frequency, call letters, song name and artist all at same time.

The Japanese have spent years emulating and perfecting much of the "science" of western products. I think that they have been less successful copying the "art" of things like BMW handling. So why can't companies like BMW just buy a few Japanese cars and copy what they now do best? It scares me that they will be left in dust when Japan gets the whole equation right.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya you tell BMW that!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='264275' date='Apr 3 2006, 09:32 PM
Both of my cars happen to be in the shop this week and I'm driving a loaner Toyota Avalon (from my Porsche dealer - don't ask me why). Now the Avalon is a car that I would NEVER buy, but my god, everything works so well!! The auto wipers just work the right way. The auto headlamps just work the right way. The nav system is unbelievable (with complete voice control). And wonder of wonders, Toyota has figured out how to use RDS to display the radio station frequency, call letters, song name and artist all at same time.
I disagree. Spend some time with that Denso NAV unit and try and enter a destination. Try it while parked and try to find a gas station while you're moving (without voice). And I don't find the menu intuative at all. It's so bad my wife won't even use it anymore even after retrofitting voice into it. She also finds the bong sound and directions to be `annoying.' RDS is cute but it's not that useful but then I don't use the radio. Auto headlamps worked better in our BMWs than on our Toyota too. And if your loaner Toyota has ACC try it and see how 'good' that 5mph resolution is. At least it's not as expensive as the BMW's but the BMW has a 1mph resolution and will work it's way to speed while the Toyota is binary. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I see both sides of the argument and, to be as indecisive as possible, I agree with both of them.

My 2005 Honda Odyssey has some pretty cool gadget features but surprisingly, it's in the shop right now (as is my E60) for some things that are not what you'd expect from a Japanese car. There are a few rattles and broken trim pieces but one of the more interesting things that's happening (intermittently, I might add) is that sometimes there is an error message on the nav screen when I try to play XM satellite radio up front while playing a DVD movie in the back. The message basically says you can't do what you're trying to do. I spoke to Honda USA about it and they agree that it's supposed to work (and sometimes does). It just goes to show you that even the Japanese can't always get things right with the electronics and software.

Aside from the above, there are clear indicators that prove the "you get what you pay for" theory. The seat heaters, although present, basically suck. The stereo (subwoofer), while not too shabby overall, causes all sorts of vibration and rattles when played at medium to high volume levels. I guess I could nit pick some more but overall, the car is pretty nice. I enjoy it but for different reasons than why I enjoy my E60.

One more thing, the Honda has such an extensive voice activation system that I don't even bother to use it. Then again, I don't use it in my E60 because I find that I can use the iDrive controller more efficiently and with less errors. The touch screen on the Honda is a royal pain in the a$$.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW honda with problems? UNHEARD OF!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each has its own strong points.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

I spent a day with a Toyota Prius. It has so many gadgets that they quite literally start to drive you mad. It all looks and feels like overkill, and I didn't think that they work that brilliantly. Perhaps the gadget overload is all a smokescreen trying to make up for the fact that it drives like a piece of sheeet. And remember that these days the electronic gizmos in the Asian cars are actually quite cheap to manufacture. The i-drive isn't perfect but I like the understated feel of it all. Frankly I can live without most of it. Come to think of it a Caterham 7 is starting to look good, and I think you can now get them with a radio
Old 04-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='264324' date='Apr 4 2006, 12:12 AM
WOW honda with problems? UNHEARD OF!
Yup, that's my point exactly. These days, nobody seems to be able to get things working perfectly from the get go. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that if you want high tech, bleeding edge stuff, you'll have to live with some glitches and become a tester so things can work better in the future...
Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

There is no Bavaria in Japan; no Bavaria, no elves.

Be thankful for what you've got; you paid dearly.

Ray Hull

PS: You didn't mention my favorite: Cupholders!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='264462' date='Apr 4 2006, 10:54 AM
PS: You didn't mention my favorite: Cupholders!

lol... yep... 14 cupholders in the wifes Sienna. Sales guy made a point to mention it with a huge proud smile. I just looked at him with a puzzled look and asked how many seats? I guess they want to teach our kids how to double fist early.

And if BMW were to copy the Japanese where would the inovation come from since they seem to copy the Germans.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't BMW simply copy the Japanese?