E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are BMW drivers hated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a good one:

tima10-06-2005, 02:15 AM
My E90 is the fifth BMW I've owned over many years. During that time I've seen a certain animosity towards BMW drivers develop and grow , but I don't think there is widespread "hatred" of the marque. Its more a perception about the driver.

My theory is this: the car itself is an embodiment of the automotive virtues of luxury (wealth), power, and control, but when the characteristics of the car are transferred by others onto the driver, the driver doesn't come off very well. "Power and control" connotes a certain tendancy toward manipulation for one's own advantage suggesting the means whereby advantage (wealth) is gained.

Simplistically, the very attributes that make the car attractive to many of its buyers don't map well as human attributes - at least to some people - the 'BMW haters'. While there may be a glimmer of truth here, I think its more an issue in the minds of the non-BMW owner.

Having been in IT for a long time, I've noticed that a relatively high percentage of programmers drive manuals (versus the general population). Programmers love to exercise control over a machine by writing whippy code. and a manual transmission offers a similarly greater degree of control over the performance of a car. But I can't say that programmers tend to be any more controlling or manipulative of people than anyone else - probably less so as some programmers shy away from social interaction.

In the mind of the general populace, the cost of a BMW tends to push it out of the 'nerd' car category which might have some (perverse?) cute factor and towards a more manipulative perception - not unlike that associated with lawyers. (apologies in advance to the barristers amonst us). There are very few other cars that have this type of cachet that gets mapped to the driver. Mercedes says stodgy wealth, Ferrari says rich playboy, Lexus says wealthy-but-complacent burgher, Audi ... I haven't a clue here I think its still trying to find itself, the Z says rich boy-racer, Vette - don't know here either, you tell me ... and on and on.

The BMW 'perception' wasn't always like it is today. When I drove a 2002, which was from the more boxy BMW era, most people didn't know what it was and those that did thought it was cool. As the brand has grown more luxurious, it hasn't lost its relative edge in performance - and that, coupled with its Teutonic origins and all the things associated with 'German cars' (and German machinery generally) get mish-mashed together as a description of the 'type of person' who would buy one. Its wierd. If you drive like an asshole in a BMW you foster a kind of impression about BMW drivers generally - versus driving like an asshole in a Saturn which simply doesn't translate to the brand. If you drive like like a jerk in your Bimmer you give all of us a bad name - something that simply doesn't happen in the same way with many other brands, not matter how poorly they're driven or how rude their drivers.

There are times I wish the car wasn't as head-turningly, conspicuously beautiful and was more the boxy taut performer, the geek of yester-year. That way it wouldn't draw attention to itself as much. (Don't get me wrong I love the look - the E90 gets better looking every day.)

I'll put the kevlar on now, so whack away. LOL!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributors

. its clear y.... cause they dont have a bmw, nor have drove one, cocky, NO very confident yes, behind the wheel of the best made car on the planet..... as for me if people gave me BIG up`s cause of my car i would always say thank you...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Unfair and inappropriate stereotype to be sure, even for yours truly, a lawyer (like many of you I am sure).
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cokeefe' post='800460' date='Feb 24 2009, 03:05 PM
Wow, how do they know all that stuff about me?

I've got to keep my personal details hidden a little better....

EDIT - just so this post is not completely without content, I will say that I've gotten more hostility on the road in 6 months of 550i ownership than I have in the last 10 years of driving Porsches. The car really does seem to bring out the anger in people.
+1,000,000.. in the first 4 months of my e60, i`v had other bmw`s in the past. but after i got the e60, it was like i was a magnet for cop`s people cutting me off, god the amount of middle fingers i got, i couldnt keep count... but i always have a smile from ear to ear... its is all worth it, to put up with...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I love the "2002" comment. It was so true. No one knew what the heck I was driving except when I flashed headlights at another BMW driver. All I knew was that it was so much fun!
Too bad those days are long gone.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Well they got the golf part right....but I am a 5 handicap and hate Tiger Woods !
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

It's interesting, my brother-in-law also shared those pre-conceptions about BMW drivers. He had no desire to own a BMW. He'd never driven one and didn't see the attraction, although he hadn't driven a Porsche either but DID see the attraction there, hence less hostility towards Porsche drivers. Once I let him have a drive of my car, it was less than a month before he'd sold his car and bought a BMW. I think BMW and Porsche drivers are very similar, they both are all about the ultimate driving machine.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Members

Don't hate the playah, hate the game!! And by the way, my house keeper is not from El Salvador, she's from Brazil and she is hot!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='800480' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:27 PM
I think BMW and Porsche drivers are very similar, they both are all about the ultimate driving machine.
+1
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mag75' post='800477' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:21 PM
Well they got the golf part right....but I am a 5 handicap and hate Tiger Woods !
What's to hate?

Quick Reply: Why are BMW drivers hated?