E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

who has adaptive brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did not know about this feature? so who has them? is it any good?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='797084' date='Feb 19 2009, 09:47 PM
i did not know about this feature? so who has them? is it any good?

I thought all E60s had these. I know from LCI onwards they are standard. All it does is light up more of the rear light cluster if your braking hard enough for the abs to kick in. Thats the way I understand it anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Dr. Dave,
I have adaptive brake lights; Dandle is right when you brake hard enough they will kick in. My car is a'05 545i and it was standard: adaptive headlights and adaptive brake lights.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Members

I have them...but since I am driving it all the time, I have no idea what the back of the car is doing.

I have seen them on other cars and they will get your attention. It is a great feature for those that like to tailgate
Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

In the UK im sure it's standard on all. Get someone to follow you and stamp on the brakes, see what happens, don't get too close!!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Contributors

so if "more" of the brake light area lights up, where are the extra bulbs...or does it just glow brighter? if so what wattage does it produce?
im curious as i have not heard this term before.
thanks for the answers so far.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

If I recall right, each tail light cluster has at least two bulbs for brake lights. Unfer normal braking, one lights up, effectively lighting up a portion of the cluster. Under hard braking, the other one lights up, effectively lighting up the whole cluster. Never seen it in practice, but the graphics shown in the brochure and the user's manual do a reasonably good job of illustrating it:
who has adaptive brake lights?-dyn_brakes.jpg
Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

First of all its called Brake Force Display (BFD). This is how its meant to work.

pre-LCI.
EU : The outer brake light works when normal braking, the middle brake light is the BFD.
US : The outer and middle work when normal braking, the circle light is the BFD.

LCI :
EU and US : The outer and middle work when normal braking, the circle light is the BFD.

What most people don't realise is that the BFD works only on really hard Braking, enough to make the ABS come on! This is a worthless feature.

However the more important feature is that the BFD bulb will take over the function of normal Braking should the normal Brake bulb fail. This is an excellent safety feature because although you get an error on the iDrive you can rest assured that atleast for the remainder of your journey the Brakes are being seen behind you.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

Bruce ,

you forgot to mention, if you have a set of your LCI retrofit cables, BFD works from inner to outer
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributors

i was going to say bruce how does this work with pre LCI cars that have the OEM LCI lights and your addaptors?
with brakes on i get the fan + the 2 inner bulbs + the circle, so what else lights up when the adaptive system comes on??

can post pics if needed.

Quick Reply: who has adaptive brake lights?