E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Else Has Had to be Towed to Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a 2004 545i now for not quite one year. Last friday the car alarm started sounding intermittently while sitting in my garage. Attempts to clear the alarm failed, and attempts to start the car indicated the car battery charge had been drained down, and the dealer recommended towing the car in to the dealership. Note that the car had been driven the day before without a problem.

Three weeks after taking delivery of the car, I also had to have my car towed in due the DME recall (the engine electronic controller was assembled incorrectly and the car might stall at any speed, with potential loss of control).

Has anyone else had the first issue happen?

How many others have had to have the car towed into the shop?

I have had a number of BMW's and they were all reliable, except for the 2004.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60-39-34man' date='Jun 12 2005, 08:31 AM
I have had a 2004 545i now for not quite one year.? Last friday the car alarm started sounding intermittently while sitting in my garage.? Attempts to clear the alarm failed, and attempts to start the car indicated the car battery charge had been drained down, and the dealer recommended towing the car in to the dealership.? Note that the car had been driven the day before without a problem.

Three weeks after taking delivery of the car, I also had to have my car towed in due the DME recall (the engine electronic controller was assembled incorrectly and the car might stall at any speed, with potential loss of control).

[snapback]138761[/snapback]
My E39 (525D) was towed in last year. Two injectors had failed, been replaced then failed approximately 4 weeks later again. The car was undriveable and I was towed back to my dealer on the back of an AA Recovery Vehicle.

The best part was seeing all the salesmen rushing outside and asking the recovery vehicle driver to QUICKLY move round the back of the dealers where noone would see us - not good PR for BMW seeing a broken down vehicle towed back to the dealer.

Even better was another 4 weeks later when the car started making strange noises - I found one of the mechanics screwdrivers (18" long no less) stuck between the engine and lower suspension - see photo

Who Else Has Had to be Towed to Dealer-140_4084_img.jpg
Old 06-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60-39-34man' date='Jun 12 2005, 08:31 AM
I have had a 2004 545i now for not quite one year.? Last friday the car alarm started sounding intermittently while sitting in my garage.? Attempts to clear the alarm failed, and attempts to start the car indicated the car battery charge had been drained down, and the dealer recommended towing the car in to the dealership.? Note that the car had been driven the day before without a problem.

[snapback]138761[/snapback]

Our 545i had to be towed the 2nd week we had it. It left my wife semi-stranded on her way to work. It started running really rough with no power. All sorts of weird errors popped up on the screen.

I traded cars with her and drove it home, although very slowly at 25 mph. Luckily I was 5 miles from my home.

Anyway, the dealer sent a flat bed and they took it in, diagnosed the problem as a leaking intake tube, between the MAF and the Intake Manifold, causing it to suck air passed the MAF, screwing up the readings. They promptly fixed it that day, and we had it back that evening.

Since then, no more problems and the car is running GREAT!!!

Regards,

Michael
Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

Twice I haven't been able to start my 545. In both cases the brake pedal wouldn't push down as far as normal so the car wouldn't let me start it. The 1st time I was in a touch less car wash. After the wash was over I went to start it. Nothing. I called BMW Assist and they sent a tow truck. After about 10 minutes of trying, the car finally started. I call BMW Assist back and cancelled the tow truck.

The second time I was picking up my daughters from their after school program. Again nothing happened when I tried starting it. Call BMW Assist and they sent a flat bed truck. This time the car wouldn't start by the time the truck got there. The dealer kept it for 2 days and could never duplicate the problem. It hasn't occurred again but I'm always leery of it.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by whihr' date='Jun 12 2005, 05:29 PM
Even better was another 4 weeks later when the car started making strange noises - I found one of the mechanics screwdrivers (18" long no less) stuck between the engine and lower suspension - see photo
[snapback]138775[/snapback]
Old 06-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Members

After two weeks of ownership on my 2005 530i I had a warning about a loss of hydraulics in the steering or stabilization and to stop driving immediately. After getting it towed on a flatbed the dealership determined there actually was a low level.

Haven't had any hydraulic problems since, but have had window and radio problems. The car is still driveable but is not reliable at all.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

We've had ours towed in 3 times so far. All three relating to DSC/ABS failures leading to no brakes at all.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2005 BMW 523i

my dad's car a brand new E60 523i only 18 days old died in the middle of the highway.. i posted previously, transmission failure aacording to I drive but the BMW guys suspect it might be some computer unit.. I hope this car dosent prove to have to many reliability issues...
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bravojs' date='Jun 20 2005, 08:27 AM
my dad's car a brand new E60 523i only 18 days old died in the middle of the highway.. i posted previously, transmission failure aacording to I drive but the BMW guys suspect it might be some computer unit.. I hope this car dosent prove to have to many reliability issues...
[snapback]141142[/snapback]
Towed from inside my garage - dead battery
Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Mine was towed in at 1,500 miles from my garage. Dead battery. I tried to jump start the car with another car running. Long story short, I fried the SMG electronic module. The whole transmission was then replaced.

Quick Reply: Who Else Has Had to be Towed to Dealer