E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

White Van Man

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

There I was minding my own business stopped at the traffic lights when low and behold white van man coming up behind ....didn't!!
I am now the poud owner of a dented car!
So the only good thing is its still driveable whereas Mr white van mans VW transporter is totalled.
Just spent an hour on the phone to the insurance company and the accident management company. Should get it in for repair next week.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Sad to hear daven, I hope it's good as new soon, think yourself lucky though as he will take 100% of the blame, had it been in the USA you may have been facing a plit decission dependant on the actual accident
Old 03-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='545605' date='Mar 16 2008, 12:50 PM
Sad to hear daven, I hope it's good as new soon, think yourself lucky though as he will take 100% of the blame, had it been in the USA you may have been facing a plit decission dependant on the actual accident
Yeah cheers mate! He admitted liability straight away and called me this morning with his insurance details. What amazes me though is how calm and collected I remained!! I just said 'Oh shit happens!'
The repairs will be carried out by the insurance companies own repair station. They did offer one main dealership but that's 25 miles away...'as the crow flies' so nearer 40 would be my guess. (Having said that they would probably farm it out anyway so I might as well go local.)
The 'accident management service' offered provides a hire car FOC and will meet be at the repairers on my chosen day to book it in and the voluntary excess is taken care of as well. I can use a repairers of my own choice but I will have to arrange the hire car myself and claim back the costs. and claim myself to get back the excess. So it seems easier to go with the flow so to speak.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daven' post='545613' date='Mar 16 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah cheers mate! He admitted liability straight away and called me this morning with his insurance details. What amazes me though is how calm and collected I remained!! I just said 'Oh shit happens!'
The repairs will be carried out by the insurance companies own repair station. They did offer one main dealership but that's 25 miles away...'as the crow flies' so nearer 40 would be my guess. (Having said that they would probably farm it out anyway so I might as well go local.)
The 'accident management service' offered provides a hire car FOC and will meet be at the repairers on my chosen day to book it in and the voluntary excess is taken care of as well. I can use a repairers of my own choice but I will have to arrange the hire car myself and claim back the costs. and claim myself to get back the excess. So it seems easier to go with the flow so to speak.
I don't know if there's an equivalent in your region but I would only go with a BMW Certified Collision shop or equiv.

I would never go to the insurer's preferred shop. Their objective would only be to do the repair at the lowest cost.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Members

I would never go to the insurer's preferred shop. Their objective would only be to do the repair at the lowest cost.
They're all BMW approved, in fact one of them is a main dealer except its a fair distance away.
The insurers 'own approved' came about because there used to be a widespread scam whereby if you went for a repair on an insurance claim they used up the price to make a big profit at the insurance companies expense.
These days they've got wise up to that!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about it. good luck with the repairs.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Members

Oh well! got the car back today and paintwork looks first class. Everything works and a new exhaust box on the rear with straight pipes (as opposed to the bent ones as fitted to diesels).
Then...............just about to wave goodbye to the delivery people when I lay on the floor to look underneath and sitting there all cracked and broken is a piece of Plastic closure/ aerodynamic trim that appears to attach to the spare wheel well the bumper and the battery tray.
I handed back the keys and said take it back!
Now I'm stuck with this stupid 4x4 VW Toerag loaner. Brand new on delivery to me BUT max 23.5mpg at 80mph and about 17-20 around town. I'll see if I can wear it out before it goes back

Interestingly I can't find the offending part in realoem