E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

white 535xi

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='614623' date='Jul 2 2008, 03:10 PM
I know I was just kidding you, where did you get your car??

ordered from brian jessel bmw in vancouver
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Talking

[/quote]
My Rant (if you want): To the skeptics on the forum. As I read this thread from the start, I could understand everyone's doubts about the family cars and the value of a 16 year olds car in comparison. In Vancouver, there is a part of our society that caters heavily to their male children. Even before the story got to where the family money comes from those from Vancouver knew the answer already. There are a lot of young 16-20 year old males in Vancouver that drive around in cars that are 4-5 times more expensive than their parents. There is a real strong desire to give their kids (boys especially) the best. Most of the kids take the attention well, as I hope gs_535xi does. Unfortunately, too many in Vancouver keep expecting to receive and don't give back. I know that my car is a big deal to me and took me a long time to make enough money to award myself with this privelege. Maybe I am jealous, but I don't think so. I know that my 2 boys will not get a car like that from me.
[/quote]

Man, you are definitely not alone. My father's a multi-millionaire many times over, and I can only 'brag' about that on his behalf because it's never had anything to do with my own success. I think he went on the deep end few times while growing up in his efforts to keep us from being spoiled, but I was told from an early age that I would not be given anything just because that's what other parents did for my friends. And although we come from generations of wealth, I have to pat him on the back for succeeding financially on his own.

I have been on my own financially since age 15, which is when I was hired for my first job. I purchased my first car with my own money and joined the US Marine Corps to earn money for college. I sure could have used some help sometimes, and my mom used to slip me some while I was in college, but now these years later I'm glad he was/is the way he is.

I ended up going to one of the best private liberal arts colleges in the country and most of the kids there came from wealthy families, boarding school backgrounds, etc. MOST of them were wonderful people, certainly not snobs in any way, but ... had absolutely no idea what the 'value of a dollar' meant and were completely ignorant of how 90 to 95% of the country lived. I don't mean that in a mean way; just in the true definition of the word 'ignorant.' "Why are you working this summer? Come with us to Australia!" "Why are you driving back to Florida this Winter Break? Why not just fly?"

I'm happy for this kid as I would have gladly accepted anything given to me at his age and seen nothing wrong with it. Don't blame him for his parents' decisions. I'm actually more concerned for him than I am jealous.

I only wish he represented himself and his intelligence by at least attempting to write in proper grammar. Surely his parents have paid for his education too? Maybe I sound old, probably do even though I'm not, but I was raised that everything I did, spoke, wrote, the way I acted, etc. reflected upon myself and my family. What is suitable for instant texting between friends does not mean it is for public communication.

I'll step down now too ...

Good luck with the car! You'll love it -- great choice!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Members

You left me speechless.
Sorry for my spelling everyone, when i post pictures of the ride I'll try using proper grammer if I write something.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Congrats on the car and welcome to the xi family. Drive carefully!

PS - I'm quitting my job in Advertising and moving into the Berry business. I need a partner. Who wants in?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='614657' date='Jul 2 2008, 02:39 PM
It's Shawn not "shane". Congrats on your new car. Post some pics when you get it.

My Rant (if you want): To the skeptics on the forum. As I read this thread from the start, I could understand everyone's doubts about the family cars and the value of a 16 year olds car in comparison. In Vancouver, there is a part of our society that caters heavily to their male children. Even before the story got to where the family money comes from those from Vancouver knew the answer already. There are a lot of young 16-20 year old males in Vancouver that drive around in cars that are 4-5 times more expensive than their parents. There is a real strong desire to give their kids (boys especially) the best. Most of the kids take the attention well, as I hope gs_535xi does. Unfortunately, too many in Vancouver keep expecting to receive and don't give back. I know that my car is a big deal to me and took me a long time to make enough money to award myself with this privelege. Maybe I am jealous, but I don't think so. I know that my 2 boys will not get a car like that from me.

I agree, here's a short list of cars that my neibhours kids got at age 16: (It's also only in Abbotsford, image what its like in Vancouver)
Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Mercedes S-Class AMG
Escalade, its like a tradition, every other house has one near my house...
Porsche Cayman
760i
lexus ls hybrid
bmw x6
Maserati Quatroporte
all these cars are only from my street and there all owned by the "boys". The average car for a girl here is about $35,000. I think our parents are spoiling us a bit and favouring the guys but why should I complain...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='614766' date='Jul 2 2008, 04:41 PM
Congrats on the car and welcome to the xi family. Drive carefully!

Thanks, nice ride.
Hopefully the xi will keep me on the road.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='614767' date='Jul 2 2008, 05:41 PM
I agree. Here's a short list of cars that my neighbors' kids got at age 16: (It's also only in Abbotsford, image what it's like in Vancouver)...and they're all owned by the "boys." The average car for a girl here is about $35,000. I think our parents are spoiling us a bit and favouring the guys, but why should I complain...?
Here's your paper back, with your spelling corrected!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Members

Good thing we don't have spelling tests every week in school.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i love blueberry yogert...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel' post='614940' date='Jul 2 2008, 10:32 PM
i love blueberry yogert...

Quick Reply: white 535xi