E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Whistle, High Pitch noise at High Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't remember an actual service bulletin being posted (I'll look around anyway) but I did manage to find a thread that gives some information on a few ways to convince the dealer that it's the seal around the windshield that's the problem...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=14698
Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

It's not that it doesn't exists on a BMW but I cannot find a bulletin for the E60. I would bet this process would work whether top or bottom of windshield.

SI B51 12 05
Body Equipment July 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes Service Measure B51 207 04 dated July 2004.

SUBJECT
Windshield Whistling Noise

MODEL
E83 (X3)

SITUATION
Customers may complain of excessive wind noise or a whistling coming from the top of the windshield at high highway speeds.

CAUSE
The upper windshield seal is not fitted properly against the outer roof panel.

CORRECTION
Glue down the upper windshield seal.

PROCEDURE
Clean the bonding area of roof panel under the upper windshield seal. Apply a thin bead of black RTV, Wurth Article Number 890913, along the back side of the upper windshield seal or roof panel. Firmly press the seal against the roof panel so that it lies flat.

Note: If the upper windshield seal is deformed or corrugated, replace the seal by following the repair instructions and glue down the seal as outlined above.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Thanks everyone for your postings and answering my call and many thanks to Kobradav for the SIB Info
I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Cheers,
/Z
Old 07-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='316821' date='Jul 30 2006, 05:32 AM
CORRECTION
Glue down the upper windshield seal.

PROCEDURE
Clean the bonding area of roof panel under the upper windshield seal. Apply a thin bead of black RTV, Wurth Article Number 890913, along the back side of the upper windshield seal or roof panel. Firmly press the seal against the roof panel so that it lies flat.
Actually the situation since then has changed a little bit. BMW now has improved seals, so a replacement would be better. But if they just fix the existing seal it also works and your windshield will then remain quiet.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

very common problem to quiet a few people from this forum. Actually I'm one of them. And thanx to this great forum I knew how to solve this.
You have to get the whole front winshield replaced!!!! There is a pin head of glue missing in somewhere and there is no way reaching this spot without changing the whole winshield for a new one!!! Had done this to mine car as other people and problem solved !!!!
however it is pain in the a$$ to convince your dealer!!!! The best way is to take them for a ride and when the sound occurs push on the winshield from inside of the car - the noise will stop, this way dealer admits that the winshiled has to be replaces/reglued
Old 07-30-2006, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='316875' date='Jul 30 2006, 01:01 PM
You have to get the whole front winshield replaced!!!! There is a pin head of glue missing in somewhere and there is no way reaching this spot without changing the whole winshield for a new one!!! Had done this to mine car as other people and problem solved !!!!
They can fix it without replacing the whole windshield, if they know what to do.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='316876' date='Jul 30 2006, 06:03 AM
They can fix it without replacing the whole windshield, if they know what to do.
which they mostly don't. unless you tell them
Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Man, I can't believe that I might have this problem.

I was going to create another thread, but after reading this thread carefully the symptoms are the same. I'm hearing a noise (whistling?) as I hit triple digits. At first, I thought it's probably my spacers on my rear wheels. But now I'm certain it's the windshield. Since my car is due for service might as well collect all the issues for my SA.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='316878' date='Jul 30 2006, 07:08 AM
which they mostly don't. unless you tell them
That's why this forum and this thread are helpful as in the long run you are helping the service department do thir job which is to fix the owners issue at the least cost. Doing what Iceman suggests and showing the SA that it does exist on a BMW even of not specific to your model should "lead" them to the fix at the least cost to BMW and you.

Of coures a whole new windscreen does it too (if installed correctly)
Old 08-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Originally Posted by jiio' post='317659' date='Aug 1 2006, 12:06 PM
Man, I can't believe that I might have this problem.

I was going to create another thread, but after reading this thread carefully the symptoms are the same. I'm hearing a noise (whistling?) as I hit triple digits. At first, I thought it's probably my spacers on my rear wheels. But now I'm certain it's the windshield. Since my car is due for service might as well collect all the issues for my SA.
I have done a lot of tests this past weekend - I just hope I don?t get a speeding ticket in the process

Keep thinking that this noise is coming from the vents; I stripped off the whole air intake down to where you see the windshield touching the frame - and run doc tape all around the bottom. put the cover back on and took it to highway - Still can hear it as soon as hit 90-95. Then I experimented with the vent settings, where you can manually set the top/middle/down vents - and it seems as if I have the Circle Off with fully open top vent, I can hear the whistle at 85.

My next try is to completely seal the intake vents, after removing the air intake filter and housing - and see if I can still hear the whistle - it is really driving me crazy :&

I still refuse to think that my windshield need to be replaced on a $58K car just to get rid of this whistle - I have had bad experiences with replacing windshields - I would be really upset if they scratch the frame in the process of doing that

Went in for my first oil change last time taking my own mobile-1 0-40 oil - and I was told that if they use the Mobile-1 0-40 it voids the warranty on my car - and they must use the Castrol oil

So as you can see I do not have a lot of faith in Stealerships.

btw, do you guys know a good lawyer in Dallas area - I might need it in near future if I keep driving like that

rgrds,
/z

Quick Reply: Whistle, High Pitch noise at High Speed!