E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Where is this relay? e60 520i M54 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 520i M54 Auto
Default Where is this relay? e60 520i M54 engine

Does anyone know where sky blue DME relay lives? I'm being plagued with the "christmas tree" effect on the dash with a multitude of errors intermittently being displayed. Having replaced both the alternator and battery the errors continue and after reading forum after forum I read that the main DME Relay (sky blue) part no 61366915327 is often the culprit. I looked it up on realoem and ordered it ...

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

However my ebox is completely different to the one shown in the picture on realoem and I see nothing that resembles this relay. Stupid of me to think that this was going to be simple with this car!!

In the glovebox there is a light green relay for fuel pump but I cannot find this sky blue relay anywhere in the ebox, glovebox or in the boot!

Pic of my ebox attached. Any help appreciated, I am at my wits end.
Attached Thumbnails Where is this relay? e60 520i M54 engine-20161220_140527.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I think you are looking at the N52 setup. You should be looking at the cluster of fuses in the black box second row from the firewall. It will have 30a 30a 20a 30a 30a on it. Clip the top cover off and take the pack out then push locking pins in on both sides to slide the row of fuses out and replace all if you'd like. Put it back together and you should be good. While you are in there you should check to see if the cooling fan is working properly also. They commonly fail which makes the DME over heat. It is easier than you thought you were just looking at the wrong type of car.

These fuses are for the engine management main relay and most of the engine management systems (coils, fuel pump, fuel injectors, evaporative system, secondary air system, VANOS solenoid, resonance valve, idle control valve, thermostat, oxygen sensors, etc.) and the A/C compressor clutch relay

Last edited by seanjordan20; 12-20-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:08 AM
New Members

Thanks. So this relay doesn't exist on the M54? Are one of these fuses for powering the DME?

Where is the cooling fan located?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by willdabeast
Thanks. So this relay doesn't exist on the M54? Are one of these fuses for powering the DME?

Where is the cooling fan located?
There is no cooling fan relay, fan is controlled by the DME with a PWM signal directly to the fan motor.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
There is no cooling fan relay, fan is controlled by the DME with a PWM signal directly to the fan motor.
Yeah i was referring to this sky blue dme relay, this doesn't exist on the M54?

Also where is the cooling fan? I don't recall seeing a fan in the ebox.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

No there is no sky blue DME relay in the M54. One of the cluster fuses I mentioned to you is the fuse you are looking for. The DME cooling fan is under all the stuff you are looking at when you pop the top open to where the DME is [under all the things in the pic you posted (depending on the package you have on the car of course)] Its a small black fan that sits at the bottom under the DME. You live in the UK so there is a good chance you do not have it because it does not get as hot there.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
No there is no sky blue DME relay in the M54. One of the cluster fuses I mentioned to you is the fuse you are looking for. The DME cooling fan is under all the stuff you are looking at when you pop the top open to where the DME is [under all the things in the pic you posted (depending on the package you have on the car of course)] Its a small black fan that sits at the bottom under the DME. You live in the UK so there is a good chance you do not have it because it does not get as hot there.

Thank you for the replies guys. I'll be returning the relay I bought. So frustrating when the realoem diagrams are incorrect!

Back to square 1 I go with this problem!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Have you checked for error codes by using a BMW specific code reader? Either a PC based program, i.e. iMPA, ISTA/D etc or a OBD code reader like Carly app for smart phone or app?
Old 12-23-2016, 08:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by willdabeast
Yeah i was referring to this sky blue dme relay, this doesn't exist on the M54?

Also where is the cooling fan? I don't recall seeing a fan in the ebox.
Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Have you checked for error codes by using a BMW specific code reader? Either a PC based program, i.e. iMPA, ISTA/D etc or a OBD code reader like Carly app for smart phone or app?
Yes. The voltage is irregular so some of the codes stored are probably false positives. It's been narrowed down to an issue between the DME and the alternator causing voltage to fluctuate between 12V and almost 16V.

IBS has been replaced, alternator has been replaced twice, battery has been replaced, ECU has been sent to be checked with no obvious issues.

Codes from INPA:

281C - BSD Interface Signal
5F78 - engine management: interface

There are other errors relating to o2 sensors (both pre cat have been replaced) but these are more than likely false positives.

Any input appreciated.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Dang.. nothings worse than finding a post with all the symptoms of a problem and find out its a Zombie post.

oh well, back to the search..