E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the Oild filter in the 550?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Where is the Oild filter in the 550? has anyone changed their oil already? i have almost 8k miles and planning to change just the filter but can not find it on top as it always been.so i assume is where 99% of the car have them..underneath so that means i have to make a complete oil change.. has anyone done one already? i have not gone under the car yet...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Don Juan............
With your brand new vehicle under complete warrantee, why would you want to change the filter or the oil when your dealer does it for free?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

because I never let my car go to 13 to 15k miles without an oil change, I have always changed my oil at about 7k miles with red line oil and then when the free service comes up, bmw does it for free. Thre are too many deductions of how long a syntethic oil should last, some (like BMW) says it can last up to its recommended interval. Some other analysis say it could but the oil filter should be changed at least every 7k if going for the full 13k-15k interval and some others recomend changing the oil at least every 7k and no more than 9k..
in my older bmws i have always benn able to access the oil filter right on the top but in this one i can not find it
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

bump anyone
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='255238' date='Mar 15 2006, 11:27 AM
because I never let my car go to 13 to 15k miles without an oil change, I have always changed my oil at about 7k miles with red line oil and then when the free service comes up, bmw does it for free. Thre are too many deductions of how long a syntethic oil should last, some (like BMW) says it can last up to its recommended interval. Some other analysis say it could but the oil filter should be changed at least every 7k if going for the full 13k-15k interval and some others recomend changing the oil at least every 7k and no more than 9k..
in my older bmws i have always benn able to access the oil filter right on the top but in this one i can not find it
I do the same. I assume it is the same as the 545 - which is really very ingenious.

There is a little trap door under the center of the engine which gives access to the drain plug and oil filter.

The oil filter is a element that fits into a housing. The housing has a drain plug on it (metric allen head) so you can drain the filter prior to removing it. The location allows you to drain the oil and the filter at the same time - into the same pan.

After the filter is drained, replace the plug. Then you can use a wrench to remove the housing. If the drain plug is not in, the area you wrench on will flex.

I have not found a oil wrench that will fit it yet, although have not looked very hard.

The replacement filter is a new o-ring for the drain plug, a new o-ring for the filter housing and a filter element.

Although not recommended, I used my spare tire jack to lift the car and just put a couple of blocks next to it. It is pretty strong. I was going to make a block for my floor jack that will allow me to lift the car at the jack insert.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='255339' date='Mar 15 2006, 05:42 PM
I do the same. I assume it is the same as the 545 - which is really very ingenious.

There is a little trap door under the center of the engine which gives access to the drain plug and oil filter.

The oil filter is a element that fits into a housing. The housing has a drain plug on it (metric allen head) so you can drain the filter prior to removing it. The location allows you to drain the oil and the filter at the same time - into the same pan.

After the filter is drained, replace the plug. Then you can use a wrench to remove the housing. If the drain plug is not in, the area you wrench on will flex.

I have not found a oil wrench that will fit it yet, although have not looked very hard.

The replacement filter is a new o-ring for the drain plug, a new o-ring for the filter housing and a filter element.

Although not recommended, I used my spare tire jack to lift the car and just put a couple of blocks next to it. It is pretty strong. I was going to make a block for my floor jack that will allow me to lift the car at the jack insert.
Great! thanks jsal.. my Shopforeman callled me jsut a few minutes ago responding to my VM and he said the same, I have all the tools i think..he said I will need a 13mm hex key (which i have) and already have 2 filters with o-rings.. :-) looking foward tonite.. have 2 5 ton jackas and jack stands so im all set
Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Did you get it Don?

Here are instructions for the 545... since the 550 is based off the same block it "should" be very similiar if not the same.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=2822
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='255414' date='Mar 15 2006, 09:34 PM
Did you get it Don?

Here are instructions for the 545... since the 550 is based off the same block it "should" be very similiar if not the same.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=2822
awesome! thanks EBMCS03 >>i have not done it yet..maybe tonite..being super busy