E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

where does the water from the AC go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else noticed this? It's been hot and muggy here in NJ lately, but I never notice any of the condensate from the AC dripping onto the ground...where does it go?

Or maybe there is a drain line that is supposed to drain down like most cars and the one in my car is just blocked?

If it is blocked, I need to figure out how to clear it prety soon, before the water starts backing up into the cockpit.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributors

it's so hot maybe the water vaporize before it hit the ground.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by vaca' post='972270' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:41 PM
Has anyone else noticed this? It's been hot and muggy here in NJ lately, but I never notice any of the condensate from the AC dripping onto the ground...where does it go?

Or maybe there is a drain line that is supposed to drain down like most cars and the one in my car is just blocked?

If it is blocked, I need to figure out how to clear it prety soon, before the water starts backing up into the cockpit.

Thanks.
My 530d M Sport does not show any condensate when parked on level ground but I have seen some when parked on a slope.I assume it's because my model has almost a full length underbody shield so that's a large area where any condensate can evaporate.I can't imagine a drain tube passing through the underbody shield and I am assuming that you have one also.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Is this really a concern? Most people worry when their cars ARE dripping and we are now wondering why it's not?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Its recycled... its pumped back into the coolant tank so you never need to refill it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='972559' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:20 PM
Its recycled... its pumped back into the coolant tank so you never need to refill it.
Maybe that is why I have had low coolant porblems! My AC water drips on the floor. What kind of pump do they use?

sixcard
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='972559' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:20 PM
It is? What happens in a very humid climate then?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='972492' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:37 PM
My 530d M Sport does not show any condensate when parked on level ground but I have seen some when parked on a slope.I assume it's because my model has almost a full length underbody shield so that's a large area where any condensate can evaporate.I can't imagine a drain tube passing through the underbody shield and I am assuming that you have one also.
Yes, my 530i also has an underbody shield...but I still can't imagine why I've never seen condensate under my car, even when on a slope.

Whenever I first put the AC on it blows a musty smell for the first couple of minutes, this along with the fact that I never see any water under the car leads me to believe that it's not draining properly.

I wonder if anyone else notices A/C water under their 5 series or not....

Every other car I've ever owned has dripped water and usually quite a bit. I can't imagine that the 5 series is so special that it miraculously vaporizes the condensate...but maybe it does!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Members

High humidity, temp mid 90's in S Fla now. The AC condenser produces lots of condensation which leaves large puddles on ground.

Think of a ice cold beer right out of the fridge, watch the water puddle up if you don't drink it fast enough.

You only have a problem if coolant is leaking from radiator or expansion tank and vehicle is overheating.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sgtloc' post='973787' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:18 PM
High humidity, temp mid 90's in S Fla now. The AC condenser produces lots of condensation which leaves large puddles on ground.

Think of a ice cold beer right out of the fridge, watch the water puddle up if you don't drink it fast enough.

You only have a problem if coolant is leaking from radiator or expansion tank and vehicle is overheating.
So your 530i produces lots of AC water...do you know where it is coming from under the car so that I can start to look in the right place?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: where does the water from the AC go?