E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

where do i put the sprint booster once installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just started putting this on my 07 530i, but i don't understand what to do next. the pedal will not attach now because the SB is in the way. am i supposed to cut the carpet and stuff the stock harness and the SB back up underneath the carpet? the wiring isn't long enough to get the actual SB out of the way to get the pedal back on. anyone know?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i just started putting this on my 07 530i, but i don't understand what to do next. the pedal will not attach now because the SB is in the way. am i supposed to cut the carpet and stuff the stock harness and the SB back up underneath the carpet? the wiring isn't long enough to get the actual SB out of the way to get the pedal back on. anyone know?
You may not need to cut the carpet for enough clearance to push the SP and harness through. I didn't.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
You may not need to cut the carpet for enough clearance to push the SP and harness through. I didn't.
i definitely did, and so did at least one other person...

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...stall-e60.html

all the stuff i saw shows the harness coming out above the pedal. mine comes out underneath the pedal and the opening in the carpet is only large enough to allow the 6 or so wires to go through. so it's about the size of a dime--no way any harness, stock or otherwise, could go in there without cutting it. that's nice to know.

i'm regretting the purchase so far. drove it around for about an hour, toggling between red, green, and nothing--and also between D and DS--and honestly don't get it. i feel it responds better, but not always. one of my biggest complaints about the DBW is going 60mph and punching it to pass on the highway. no matter what i did with the SB, there was still a lag. it may have been decreased, but i'm not noticing much.

has anyone else thought this? i really don't mean to go off and flame anyone, but it sure sounded like the majority of users like this mod and the ones that don't just never bought it. i believed it would be a good mod, and not only did i have to cut my carpet, but i don't really feel like it was worth $300. then again maybe i just haven't driven it long enough?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Senior Members

i paid like 140-150 for a older V1 and i think it was worth it. Any more then that and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. It just makes the car a bit peppier and fixes some of the throttle lag. It's not a magical device that completely eliminates all of the electronic throttle problems. It simply makes the throttle more sensitive.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

i paid like 140-150 for a older V1 and i think it was worth it. Any more then that and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. It just makes the car a bit peppier and fixes some of the throttle lag. It's not a magical device that completely eliminates all of the electronic throttle problems. It simply makes the throttle more sensitive.

Also there shouldn't be much of a lag when you punch it on the freeway... especially in DS mode. The throttle is OVERLY sensitive IMO in DS mode...
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bens1088
Also there shouldn't be much of a lag when you punch it on the freeway... especially in DS mode. The throttle is OVERLY sensitive IMO in DS mode...
i don't know, maybe it's that the car is revving up and that is what i am calling "lag." if so, you can't do much with a SB to eliminate that.

i'm really starting to believe the "it is psychological" crowd, as this morning i drove it some more and you're right, it does have a better response, but by giving the car more gas without the SB on, you accomplish the exact same thing. i think it should be called the "foot booster," because to me the effect is really the same as if you pushed your foot on the pedal faster.

hate to say but i'm sending it back...i'm not impressed. and yeah i would agree, maybe for $100 it would have been worthwhile. the annoying light inside your interior is also annoying i'm finding. i think the V1 would have been preferred for me as far as that is concerned.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi-Stock

The SB really only helps under part throttle. It just makes the pedal more sensitive. My old TSX had a very jumpy pedal, and anyone who drove it thought it was fast. It felt much quicker than my 525xi. There is a section coming out of a toll plaza off of the turnpike where I can floor it until I get to an overpass. There is a bump right at the overpass that you can feel. My old A4 would hit 72-73 mph, the TSX would hit 78-80. I tried it a few weeks ago with the 525xi and had to back off because of traffic. I hit 83mph before the bump. I probably would have hit 85 mph. The SB is more psychological. Under full throttle it does nothing.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JohnC
The SB really only helps under part throttle. It just makes the pedal more sensitive. My old TSX had a very jumpy pedal, and anyone who drove it thought it was fast. It felt much quicker than my 525xi. There is a section coming out of a toll plaza off of the turnpike where I can floor it until I get to an overpass. There is a bump right at the overpass that you can feel. My old A4 would hit 72-73 mph, the TSX would hit 78-80. I tried it a few weeks ago with the 525xi and had to back off because of traffic. I hit 83mph before the bump. I probably would have hit 85 mph. The SB is more psychological. Under full throttle it does nothing.
i agree, i think there is a bit of misrepresentation in their advertisements. they say it will get rid of throttle lag. i don't think it does at all--if you WOT from 60mph in any of the SB modes, including off, the result is the same, and there is still a lag. the time it takes your car to recognize you gave it gas is always the same, SB or not.

i think it just increases the sensitivity of the pedal at lower intervals. probably if you put it on a graph of 10%, 50%, and 100% of the pedal being pressed down, if the corresponding throttle reaction were at stock 10%, 50%, and 100%, with the SB installed it would be more like 25%, 60%, 100%. but that theory doesn't eliminate throttle lag at all, just increases throttle reaction at different levels of the pedal being depressed. those two things are definitely different, like your TSX compared to your 525i. i think a lot of the critics are right--just press your foot down farther and you'll accomplish the same thing a SB will do.

i was a bit surprised that i couldn't find anyone that didn't like their SB, except people who never had it before.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

can you post a picture of the SB V2 you have there tuffluck? Maybe you got a bad one, I do remember posts about that before, and once they returned it and got a new one they were satisfied.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Members

Here is how mine looks.
Attached Thumbnails where do i put the sprint booster once installed?-img01303-20100915-2218.jpg   where do i put the sprint booster once installed?-img01306-20100915-2218.jpg  

Quick Reply: where do i put the sprint booster once installed?