E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Where did I go wrong???? (editorial)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='437618' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:22 PM
As for the car, just let her get what she wants. She's not a driving enthusiast as you've said, so the driving characteristics of a BMW or a Porsche will be lost on her. She's more after style, luxury and comfort so the Benz seems to fit those standards. If she likes the look of an R-Class, so be it.
+1. let her have it if she still wants it after a test drive in the 3 series. if not the 3 series, then the benz will suit her well.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='437498' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:30 PM
My younger sister, whom I inundated with endless automotive information growing up now lusts after....

A 6 cyl. Mercedes mini-van?

Like many people, my sister has the impression that Mercedes is the holy grail of cars. Fine, I can't change people's perceptions. But take a gander at this list of salient info. about my sister, who is shopping for a new car as her lease (C240 4matic) is up shortly:

1) She drives very fast/rambunctious in town;
2) She is not a driving enthusiast - i.e. drives with one hand on the wheel, talks constantly on the phone;
3) She is a bad driver having caused five at-fault accidents in the last six years, three of which invloved only one car, three of which were serious and two resulted in totalled vehicles (mercedes). She does not pay enough attention to the road; and
4) She is 5'8", absolutely beautiful, 25, single with no kids!

IS SHE DOING THIS TO HURT ME - an R350 Mercedes!!! An SLK sure, no problem. But a minivan!

Then to add insult to injury she tells me, as I am taking the R out of port on a test drive with her, that it's "fun" to drive and a "performance" car, comparable to my wife's X5!

In case any of you haven't driven an X5, regardless of how it's optioned, it's one of a handful of select SUVs that can be pushed on a racetrack without feeling that you are completely abusing the car. Our X5 is tremendously satisfying to drive briskly on a mountain road, even through very tight curves. The body roll on the R class is tremendous! The steering wheel is dead in your hands. Etc, Etc.... Its a Mercedes!

Everyone knows a Porsche is a great sports car. Few people will suggest to a 911 driver that they try another car to compare. But seemingly very few people really understand the difference between a BMW and a Merc. or Audi. For those that do know the difference, no explanation is needed and for those that just don't get it, none is possible....

I'm going to set her up with a 3 series wagon test drive (she doesn't like SUVs) and that's the most I can do. Wish me luck.

-DRP

Wow. I feel your pain. I am currently grooming my sister. I am actually picking up my 2008 550i tomorrow or thursday. Maybe you should let me take your sister out so she can really see what a true performance vehicle is. I'll be easy around curves with her
Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='437500' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:38 PM
3 series is probably a good idea!

absolutely beautiful? Still single, no kids...

Attachment 34072

I agree
Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='437498' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:30 PM
My younger sister, whom I inundated with endless automotive information growing up now lusts after....

A 6 cyl. Mercedes mini-van?

Like many people, my sister has the impression that Mercedes is the holy grail of cars. Fine, I can't change people's perceptions. But take a gander at this list of salient info. about my sister, who is shopping for a new car as her lease (C240 4matic) is up shortly:

1) She drives very fast/rambunctious in town;
2) She is not a driving enthusiast - i.e. drives with one hand on the wheel, talks constantly on the phone;
3) She is a bad driver having caused five at-fault accidents in the last six years, three of which invloved only one car, three of which were serious and two resulted in totalled vehicles (mercedes). She does not pay enough attention to the road; and
4) She is 5'8", absolutely beautiful, 25, single with no kids!

IS SHE DOING THIS TO HURT ME - an R350 Mercedes!!! An SLK sure, no problem. But a minivan!

Then to add insult to injury she tells me, as I am taking the R out of port on a test drive with her, that it's "fun" to drive and a "performance" car, comparable to my wife's X5!

In case any of you haven't driven an X5, regardless of how it's optioned, it's one of a handful of select SUVs that can be pushed on a racetrack without feeling that you are completely abusing the car. Our X5 is tremendously satisfying to drive briskly on a mountain road, even through very tight curves. The body roll on the R class is tremendous! The steering wheel is dead in your hands. Etc, Etc.... Its a Mercedes!

Everyone knows a Porsche is a great sports car. Few people will suggest to a 911 driver that they try another car to compare. But seemingly very few people really understand the difference between a BMW and a Merc. or Audi. For those that do know the difference, no explanation is needed and for those that just don't get it, none is possible....

I'm going to set her up with a 3 series wagon test drive (she doesn't like SUVs) and that's the most I can do. Wish me luck.

-DRP
I need your sisters picture and phone number, I will work on changing her car taste.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

<<She is 5'8", absolutely beautiful, 25, single with no kids!>>

In the UK these are known as 'Mirages' !!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='438152' date='Jun 21 2007, 12:11 PM

Are you only allowed on here Wednesdays at noon now???

ABC
Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Okay then...

I guess in retrospect I shouldn't have mentioned the fact that my sister is beautiful....

What I did fail to mention is that the Mercedes dealer is offering her the hauler at a $10k dollar discount with a lease money factor of .00095. So her payment from her C240 4matic will go up $20/month for a $53,000.00 MSRP Merc. minivan. That's the reason she's interested. Its not the car she likes, it's the deal.

Like my wife always says...the cheap turns out expensive. Like me "saving" money by not getting an M5, then adding Style 166 wheels, body kit, pilot sport 2s, Dinan exhaust etc....to the 550.

Anyway, my sister is picking up her cruise ship later today. She wouldn't even test drive a bimmer. Her loss. Thanks for the responses all the same.

DRP
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='438154' date='Jun 21 2007, 12:38 PM
Are you only allowed on here Wednesdays at noon now???

ABC

Ummm..............It's Thursday !

Not to be pedantic of course.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='438152' date='Jun 21 2007, 06:11 AM

He didn't say she has great teeth!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zen68' post='437615
He didn't say she has great teeth!

Quick Reply: Where did I go wrong???? (editorial)