E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When and where did you see your first E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question was asked in another thread, but the title of that thread was not related to this question and it was several posts down, so I decided to start a new thread with the appropriate title.

For me it was May of 2003. The E60 publicity photos had already been released by BMW but the cars were not being sold or delivered to the customers yet. I was in Cannes working in the Film Festival on a Terminator 3 robot show and one day just walking to work I saw a car with a cover on it inside a sort of display room or show room on the beach. Only part of the wheel was visible but it was obvious that it was an E60. I kept walking past there several times a day until I saw the car with the covers off one day. They were trying to reposition it inside the showroom so they had to take the cover off for a few minutes. I was very excited and little did I know that in the next day or so there were going to be about 20 each of the E60 and E65 sent from Munich to give people rides around Cannes. The E60's were all pre production cars and all Silver Gray. I was told by someone that all of them would be destroyed when they get back to Munich as that's what they do with pre production models (I don't know if that was true). I was very frustrated after being there for almost 3 weeks and all the rest of the people in my crew got to ride in the E60 except for me ...........and they did not even like or care about BMW's. I was really happy to have seen the E60 there a couple of months before even the European customers got their cars delivered, let alone the ones here in the US. On my last day there I got a ride to the airport in an E65, but I would have rather been in an E60.

Here are some pictures:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>This was my very first peak at the E60</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>This was two days later with the cover off</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A couple of days later there were many E60's in the streets of Cannes</span>

Old 09-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

It was also in France in Versailles (close to Paris) in July 2003. It was one of the first E60 delivered here. I remember it was a premium 530d silver gray. I did not like very much the "bangle style" the first time compared to my E39 525i. But now I have my own E60 530d (blue).
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Was not really following things on the internet or magazines at the time, so the first time I saw the e60 was on the street nearby my house. I was stopped at an intersection and was somewhat puzzled as it drove by.

To be honest, I wasn't really impressed at first....of course my opinion has since changed.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I had seen pictures in the magazines before it was released and was naturally interested since I was looking to replace my E39 525i. I wasn't too impressed with the styling until I visited the BMW Center in Leipzig in October 2003.

WOW!! In person the car just knocked me out. Now, almost 2 years later, the styling is still fresh and trend-setting.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Saw my first one in Singapore when I was in senior year of high school. Thought the car looked awesome and I fell in love with it at first sight. Loved the futuristic look. I wanted to have that car so badly. Had I not been in the US, I would probably be driving a civic which cost probably the same price as a 5er back there.
dammit.....after 2 years i still think that the car looks awesome....
Old 09-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Members

First time I saw an E60 on the road was just after test-driving an E55 AMG. I remember leaving the owner's house convinced his E55 would be my next car. I looked back at the E55 several times as I tried in earnest to be inspired and excited about that car.

As I pulled out of the neighborhood to the first stop light, a silver grey E60 came to a stop next to me. My appreciation for the E60 has only grown since that day.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

I saw my first one in 2003 while driving from Barcelona to Nerja on the Costa del Sol ... one passed me on the road (silver grey) and wanted it right there and then ... had to wait until 2004 before they hit the show rooms in Canada
Old 09-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

At the dealer. I still have a '98 528i and I always wanted a 540i via ED. I kept putting it off until "the new 5" came out. When I read about the 545i I could wait no longer. I made my mind up after only seeing it in pictures. The test drive was only to decide if I wanted SMG or Steptronic. Appearance wasn't a factor. I did not like the Bangle butt, but it wasn't enough to deter me. Now I like the fact that I have a leading edge design car, but it took a while to get used to it.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributors

One the 210 freeway driving thru Pasadena, June 2003, all covered up and looking pretty shabby.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

I've first seen it on the 5 series launch new letter and didn't like it as the back just look like the Superu Imprezer. Later I asked for it as a loaner when I serviced my E46. It was a 520i, once you sat inside and closer the door. and start the engine I have fallen in love with it, and it became my next dream car then.

Quick Reply: When and where did you see your first E60