E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When is enough...ENOUGH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

2004 530i with 120K miles and not a single issue besides DISA broke. $5 fix. I knew the owner (BMW Tech) and had since 75K miles. Lately been thinking of selling it just because I don't really drive much these days. Weather is too nice to not ride motorcycle!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$100 * 12 != $2,400
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Members

I have the 2004 525i RWD. now has only 45k miles. without NAVI or the fancy options.
I have the same question, how long I should keep the car for?
I just read the thread here, someone said the 525i will has less problem, anyone can tell something about it?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

This is a subject that applies to me too. At what point do you say eff it! Like everyone here think very highly of BMW cars, but after a series of events I'm starting to question if I should keep it. In the past month I've had the following replaced:
  • Airbag ECU 65-77-6-975-684
  • Door Module, CO-DRI: 61-35-9-110-846
  • Radio TCU 84-10-9-120-760
  • and Alternator (installed by me)
After the damage I'm looking at $3700 of repairs. The quick as to why this was all replaced. Well... Apparently the Alternator I purchased (Bosch) fried these computers. Everything is in and I'm free of an illuminating dashboard now. However last night when driving the car there was this hesitation between 2500 ~ 3000 RPM. Can't really explaining what was happening, but it basically keeping a steady speed the car would speed up/slow down (air mass?). I put it in DS and it seemed to disappear, but this begs the question - WTF is wrong now? I literally got the car back a week ago in Monday... Now this...

Now, not to hijack the OP's thread, but when do you say eff it and unload the car? For me it's a 2004 530i with 105K miles - haven't yet, and really don't want too either, but the repairs are very old.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
New Members

An extended warranty is just going to be a hassle in the long run. The covered part lists for most extended warranties don't match up with the actual part names of BMW's, especially on the engine. I have an extended warranty that I purchased from the dealer, and the warranty company and the dealer have the same parent company. The one time I had to use it, I was denied right out. I made a HUGE stink about it and was able to come to a reasonable agreement. When talking with the shop manager, he said that I should have come to them (the service department) to see what they thought about the warranty. They HATE the warranties because they put the tech in a position where a major repair is necessary and the warranty company denies everything. If you're set on an extended warranty, at a minimum, go talk to the service department of your preferred dealer and see what they think of the warranty. They generally feel no "allegiance" to the sales group and will give you a straight answer.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

The way I see it is that you easily loose $1-3k in the whole process of selling your car. Why not spend that in repair and maintenance. Even the sales tax of a new car in most cases would be more than what could fix most of these issues. It's easy to go down the "let me sell this" road, but I have often ended up spending more than I wanted to on that path.

FYI: 08 with 80k miles here. No extended warranty.