E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When to Change Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

OK Everyone, here is a good one. I have an '06 525i with 43,000 miles. I drive 120 miles per day to/from work, all highway. My iDrive said change the brakes at 9,000+ (which is 52,000) just over the warranty. I had the car in for a sun-roof noise and I asked them to check the brakes.

I called for the car and the dealer replaced 4 pads and rotors and sensors. I understand the pads and sensors, but not the rotors! After all, as far as I have known, we need to keep our eye on the pads in order NOT to need to change rotors due to scoring.... The response to me was "BMW pads are very soft and the pads and rotors must be changed together..."

Instantly I am now thinking I need to buy the $1100 US maintenance program, to cover this the next time (est. $1300 US). Has anyone else heard of this? I am also thinking to have harder brake pads installed to keep from damaging the rotors...

Please advise,

Regards,

Mark
Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya for some reason BMW changes the pads and the rotors together... even with the MINIs if they see that the pads need changing they change the rotors too. your dealer isnt doing anything wrong there.

Soooo if BMW sees it necessary to change BOTH at the same time even under their free maintence... I dunno what to think... if we, when out of warranty, should change both too or get away with just changing the pads.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Members

NO NO NO ! You have to change the brake pads when you change the brake disks, but not automatically the disks when you only change the pads !
Normaly, you'll get to change the disks once for 3 times for the pads.
It depends on your drive syle : if very dynamic, electronics helps will cause a faster wear of the brakes.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='347524' date='Oct 21 2006, 03:54 PM
NO NO NO ! You have to change the brake pads when you change the brake disks, but not automatically the disks when you only change the pads !
It depends on your drive syle : if very dynamic, electronics helps will cause a faster wear of the brakes.
well I'm telling you thats not how BMW NA / MINI NA's maintence plan does it. When they change the brake PADs they change the rotors too.

Heres some more people discussing it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=27999
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

It depends.... I had BMW do the first brake job on my e39 528i and they replaced pads and disks. However, I did the second brake job myself using pads and disks from Bavarian Auto and they lasted a lot longer. I did not notice a reduction in braking capability. I would go to an alternative source for parts for my e60 if I had to pay for it. I think BMW uses softer disks, but I am not sure they perform better. Like I said, it depends.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='347577' date='Oct 22 2006, 12:13 AM
It depends.... I had BMW do the first brake job on my e39 528i and they replaced pads and disks. However, I did the second brake job myself using pads and disks from Bavarian Auto and they lasted a lot longer. I did not notice a reduction in braking capability. I would go to an alternative source for parts for my e60 if I had to pay for it. I think BMW uses softer disks, but I am not sure they perform better. Like I said, it depends.
I have a somewhat similar experience. On my E39 540 the check brake lining warning came up at 32K miles and my dealer replaced pads and disks. On my 2005 545, when I complained about whistling sound from the right front wheel when braking, my dealer replaced all 4(F/R) brake pads but did not replace disks. The car only had 15K miles when it happened.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Normaly, you'll get to change the disks once for 2-3 times for the pads it totaly depends from driving style
Old 10-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by mleuba' post='347460' date='Oct 22 2006, 02:54 AM
OK Everyone, here is a good one. I have an '06 525i with 43,000 miles. I drive 120 miles per day to/from work, all highway. My iDrive said change the brakes at 9,000+ (which is 52,000) just over the warranty. I had the car in for a sun-roof noise and I asked them to check the brakes.

I called for the car and the dealer replaced 4 pads and rotors and sensors. I understand the pads and sensors, but not the rotors! After all, as far as I have known, we need to keep our eye on the pads in order NOT to need to change rotors due to scoring.... The response to me was "BMW pads are very soft and the pads and rotors must be changed together..."

Instantly I am now thinking I need to buy the $1100 US maintenance program, to cover this the next time (est. $1300 US). Has anyone else heard of this? I am also thinking to have harder brake pads installed to keep from damaging the rotors...

Please advise,

Regards,

Mark
You said I am also thinking to have harder brake pads installed to keep from damaging the rotors...
this is not the case, it will rundown your OEM rotors much faster because the OEM are soft just like the OEM pad.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='347524' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:54 PM
Wrong....BMW policy is to change the rotors every time the pads are replaced. I think you are referring to every other car on earth, but not BMW.

This is why you should always buy the extended maintenance plan. Not warranty, maintainance.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Contributors

i had my oil change and brakes replaced 2000 miles before it was due, the dealer didn't charge me for it. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: When to Change Brake Rotors?