E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels / Tires on 545i

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite
Thumbs up

I am heading to the dealer, hopefully this afternoon, to order a 545i now that i've settled the price and lease. (Pricing and Lease terms are swingin' deals right now by the way-- it cheaper to lease an '05 545 than an '06 530.)

My question is about the sport package- I'm concerned that the rear wheels are different size from the front. I like the performance benefits of the larger rear wheels, but I understand that the tires typically wear out faster with the sport package and if you can't rotate due to the different F/B sizes, it exacerbates the problem.

I'm wondering if there is a precendent for ordering 18 x 8.0 with 245/40R-18s for both the front and back. I have no idea if the factory or dealer would do this. Potentially this could screw up the rear handling/suspension if it is really tuned for the larger wheel/tire.

Either way, I'm getting the sport package-- it seems like a must have.

Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

You'll have to get 2 new rims and 2 new tires and be stuck with the old ones. If you're worried about the tires wearing out and cost.. it's going to cost more now to get the matching rims and tires than replacing the rear tires in the future.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Members

Plus if you can afford to buy the car, 2 new tires are not going to hurt you. You pay for the feel and drive of the car. Assymetrics just handle and look better...
Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

In addition to all of the above, the car was designed for staggered tires. Anything but does not look good.

I understand your concern. For my next set of tires, I am considering a non-asymetric tire that I could remount from side-to-side. However, on mine right now I don't seem to notice too much of a difference from the inside to the outside of the tire.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

I understand the logic, but I do not have time to deal with car maintenance. Having to get tires sooner is not something I relish, hence the question.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

The wear of the tires has alot to do with what kind of a driver you are. If you are an easy driver then worring about different sizes is pointless. Just get what comes on the car

Plus, if you ever try to sell the car later and it's not staggard you might have an issue...

just my 2c
Old 04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

OK, done deal. Order is in-- sport package with no changes. This is the best car I've ever ordered by a long shot. I'm totaly excited (with a touch of guilt that I'm spending this much money on a car.) We started looking at cars with a back seat big enough for three kids. The GS was too small, my wife didn't like the RL, I didn't like the Infinity, we hated our last Mercedes SUV so we didn't even look at one.... that leads us to the 530i, which we thought was a little gutless... then we saw the attractive lease rates on the '05 545s... and next thing I know I'm getting this $60K car with a 325 HP V-8? Am I nuts?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Apr 28 2005, 01:45 PM
OK, done deal.? Order is in-- sport package with no changes.? This is the best car I've ever ordered by a long shot.? I'm totaly excited (with a touch of guilt that I'm spending this much money on a car.)? We started looking at cars with a back seat big enough for three kids.? The GS was too small, my wife didn't like the RL, I didn't like the Infinity, we hated our last Mercedes SUV so we didn't even look at one.... that leads us to the 530i, which we thought was a little gutless... then we saw the attractive lease rates on the '05 545s... and next thing I know I'm getting this $60K car with a 325 HP V-8?? Am I nuts?
[snapback]121529[/snapback]
No, you're nuts when you start to consider supercharging your 325 HP V-8 to 450 HP and buying out the lease.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Yes, then I would definately be nuts, but then again, HP is an addictive thing. We bought an Acura TL for commuting and that is what drove me beyond the 530i-- it wasn't as fast as my TL, so we can't take a step backwards can we? I'll bet in a couple years 450HP will sound reasonable.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Apr 28 2005, 12:45 PM
OK, done deal.? Order is in-- sport package with no changes.? This is the best car I've ever ordered by a long shot.? I'm totaly excited (with a touch of guilt that I'm spending this much money on a car.)? We started looking at cars with a back seat big enough for three kids.? The GS was too small, my wife didn't like the RL, I didn't like the Infinity, we hated our last Mercedes SUV so we didn't even look at one.... that leads us to the 530i, which we thought was a little gutless... then we saw the attractive lease rates on the '05 545s... and next thing I know I'm getting this $60K car with a 325 HP V-8?? Am I nuts?
[snapback]121529[/snapback]
No, you are wise man. With the car leasing for less than a 06 530 and as much as an 06 330, you cannot go wrong. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Wheels / Tires on 545i