E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='208044' date='Dec 6 2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, "if money is no object". But consider this, we pay about $60 to $70k for our cars (ok you folks who lease obviously don't), and then we worry about a few hundred dollars for the wheels/tires?? - which BTW are probably one the most important things you would buy for the car.

Go figure!!
I don't get it for sure. Are you saying it is not sensible, or whatever, to worry about a few extra $100's because we pay $60k or $70k? And, leasing, versus purchasing, usually is a very close decision. There really is very little difference between the two--at least if one is doing what, to me, is the logical thing by saving the money needed to make the next lease payment "affordable." That is, if doing so, a person leasing is, in effect, paying as much as a person purchasing/financing since the difference in the respective payments, over time, must be withheld from consumption by the lessee to make the next lease payment "affordable."
Old 12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Well crap guys, you are making this more difficult - why can't you all agree on something - like Comfort Seats?

While I am the biggest fan of keeping it all BMW, I see no reason to spend an extra $600 on wheels. That said, if they bend or compromise safety over the OEMS - IN ANY WAY - then I'm going OEM.

While I can't use my stock wheels for snows (love the style but the staggerd setup is just terrible), I do happen to have some Blizzak LM22s from my Lexus that I could have mounted on whatever I buy. The only issue is they are 235/45/17s. Anyone know what that will do to my speedometer?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='208149' date='Dec 6 2005, 10:12 PM
Well crap guys, you are making this more difficult - why can't you all agree on something - like Comfort Seats?

While I am the biggest fan of keeping it all BMW, I see no reason to spend an extra $600 on wheels. That said, if they bend or compromise safety over the OEMS - IN ANY WAY - then I'm going OEM.

While I can't use my stock wheels for snows (love the style but the staggerd setup is just terrible), I do happen to have some Blizzak LM22s from my Lexus that I could have mounted on whatever I buy. The only issue is they are 235/45/17s. Anyone know what that will do to my speedometer?
Yes, I have been reading along. The problem is that everyone is making good points. There doesn't seem to be a "right" answer.

After thinking it over again, I'd go with somewhat low-cost after-market wheels. Incidentally, BBS, I think has a very good, very light relatively inexpensive 17" or 18" wheel. Check it out at tirerack.com. Start by "saving" your car for sure. Hope my recollection is correct. The BBS wheels would be plenty strong. BBS makes BMW wheels--among other things.

A wheel with less diameter will give you a lower final drive ratio numerically. Thus, your speedo will read too high, and you will accumulate too much mileage. Your speedo and odometer could be corrected at your dealer--I think.