E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ricracing, I had a little wheel hop today. I was in the first tier at a traffic light and had a 330i on my right who had been showing some tendencies (know what I mean?). I did away with DSC and DTC and was in sport mode when the light changed. I did not a true launch, but only part way down with the pedal and experienced my first wheel hop ever for just an instant. I decided early on not to go all out and let up just as the hop started. I just wanted a quick off-the-line.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='200077' date='Nov 18 2005, 06:37 PM
Ricracing, I had a little wheel hop today. I was in the first tier at a traffic light and had a 330i on my right who had been showing some tendencies (know what I mean?). I did away with DSC and DTC and was in sport mode when the light changed. I did not a true launch, but only part way down with the pedal and experienced my first wheel hop ever for just an instant. I decided early on not to go all out and let up just as the hop started. I just wanted a quick off-the-line.
"showing some tendencies" Yes, I do understand!

With a 525i I have no problem with hops but I know the fearture.
I can hardly get my rear wheels spinning without DSC on a dry surfice.

Just wondering, was your only "part way down" and that you did not disconnect your DSC the reason to get the "hops" or is there really a wrong (comfort) calculation of the rear springs and shock absorbers?

This hope feature comes from too soft rear settings (for serious launches) but some practice would also do good.

Only the M5 and M6 has the computer assisted launch control.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

just put some sand bags in the trunk an it won't happen again
Old 11-18-2005, 08:01 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='200088' date='Nov 18 2005, 10:50 AM
Just wondering, was your only "part way down" and that you did not disconnect your DSC the reason to get the "hops" or is there really a wrong (comfort) calculation of the rear springs and shock absorbers?

This hope feature comes from too soft rear settings (for serious launches) but some practice would also do good.

Only the M5 and M6 has the computer assisted launch control.
This was the first time I had disabled DTC/DSC since I upgraded to ver 18. Prior to that, I had a problem getting launch control to work although others - realty, and Rudy in particular - had success with earlier versions of software. Well, I did have one experience on the track where I just sat there spinning and smoking. I will be looking for an opportunity to test it again before too long.

Are you sure about that M5/M6 statement?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Are you sure about that M5/M6 statement?
[/quote]

Well I know for an fact that the M5/M6's comes a very sofisticated software that are unic for them.

I'm pretty sure that the launch control doesn't come with the SMG system (it is "only" a secventiell
shifting assist software) and if your car hops, that is kind of confirmment to my belief.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='200103' date='Nov 18 2005, 11:15 AM
Well I know for an fact that the M5/M6's comes a very sofisticated software that are unic for them.

I'm pretty sure that the launch control doesn't come with the SMG system (it is "only" a secventiell
shifting assist software) and if your car hops, that is kind of confirmment to my belief.
This type of launch is covered in my 545 owners manual on page 55. It is titled Accleration Assistant with SMG.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='200114

This type of launch is covered in my 545 owners manual on page 55. It is titled Accleration Assistant with SMG.
[/quote]

EBMCS03 sent me this the other day.
The M launch control is obviously more sophisticated/controllable than ours (another reason to get an M).
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18651

Also, JDN, I don't think yoiur issue has as much do with your software version as much as it does with your tire wear.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya! I sooooo want an M5... BUT let me add... thats the Euro version... us lowly US M5s get LC at 1600 Rpms its been tested by like 2 or 3 people here in the states so far.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:18 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='200452' date='Nov 18 2005, 11:33 PM
Also, JDN, I don't think yoiur issue has as much do with your software version as much as it does with your tire wear.
Could be, realty, although the tread still looks good. I rationalized that for some reason I was getting too much traction for the weight. It felt like a shudder. Temperature was in the thirties and the run flats may have been stiffer, too.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='200517
Could be, realty, although the tread still looks good. I rationalized that for some reason I was getting too much traction for the weight. It felt like a shudder. Temperature was in the thirties and the run flats may have been stiffer, too.
[/quote]

I know with mine, even though they had good tread, after a little wear there was not a whole lot of traction. Even now with my new Dunlops, they just don't hook up.
I'm not sure if heat cycling hardens the tread prematurely.

Either way, it's almost time for me to put the snow tires on. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Wheel hop