E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel alignment, is the stealer the only option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the tittle states, is the stealer the only option for a proper wheel alignment? I need an alignment, but I'm not inclined to bring my own Vaseline for the raping that will ensue at the stealer. I have heard quotes for well over $200. Do you guys use other alignment shops, or is it strictly the stealer when it comes to alignment on your e60?

If you have had success with an alignment shop and you're located in the NYC area, can you please recommend?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Members

I've had success at camber toe in lynbrook, they did an alignment on my 3 series and it was perfect. I think it was like 140.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

^Thanks bud, I will google them for more information.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Members

No prob, I know he's on the e90 post under matt@cambertoe you can read reviews there too.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

Firestone offers LIFETIME alignment for $169. I've had it aligned 4 times in 13 months already and will continue to do so for the next 5 years.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

short answer, take it where you like.

Long answer, if you have active steering it's a little more complicated because the steering wheel has to be "centered" (and I don't mean just physically, you have to turn it to center and then reset something in the active steering controller.) Personally, I've never been happy with alignments done by anyone other than my dealer. Can't explain why, don't know what they do different, but the car just feels ....right. I can't put my finger on what they do but I haven't found anyone else that can. This was the case on my E36, my E39s and my E60.

That doesn't mean you can't find someone else, though. My dealer charges $129 so it's not *too* bad.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
As the tittle states, is the stealer the only option for a proper wheel alignment? I need an alignment, but I'm not inclined to bring my own Vaseline for the raping that will ensue at the stealer. I have heard quotes for well over $200. Do you guys use other alignment shops, or is it strictly the stealer when it comes to alignment on your e60?

If you have had success with an alignment shop and you're located in the NYC area, can you please recommend?
General tire dd a fine job for me. They said they had the latest laser setup and could handle BMWs. Thinking about it more I wished asked where they got the alignment specs for a 550 sport package. $100 was just too good to resist.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
but I'm not inclined to bring my own Vaseline for the raping that will ensue at the stealer.
What makes you think they would lube up before the raping?.....then again they would be able to charge double the price vaseline would normally cost and add labour charges for the actual time it would take to lube up.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Take it where you like!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
General tire dd a fine job for me. They said they had the latest laser setup and could handle BMWs. Thinking about it more I wished asked where they got the alignment specs for a 550 sport package. $100 was just too good to resist.
Not too sure about where you're located but Tires Plus has same equipment as the $tealer KDS laser alignment. It's called "exotic alignment" and is lifetime warrantied cost about $100. They did good job on E60 but the wheel is just a little off center. JUST a tad barely noticable but if you have a 5er you're most likely anal about these things. It's never bothered me enough to go back though. I had a friend do the 3er on same equipment for $50 and i can tell you THE TOOLS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE PERSON USING THEM. Needless to say he did a shitty job. I did a better job manually in my garage man. DEAD serious. I still have to take it back.Anyway I guess it all boils down to what you feel comfy with.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment, is the stealer the only option?