E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what's up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, 6-speed, sliver-gray metallic, premium package, professional navigation ... among other options

Central California has comfortable temperatures time of year. On many days, I don't need either heat or air conditioning. I'll press the "off" button and forget about it.

Yesterday, after driving home from Turkey Day dinner, the climate control kept turning itself on over and over, regardless of how many times I pressed "off." A few seconds would pass and then -- BOOM! -- it was back on again.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the reprogramming the dealer gave the car four weeks ago -- but I'm no BMW mechanic.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by newsman' post='203511' date='Nov 26 2005, 03:41 AM
Central California has comfortable temperatures time of year. On many days, I don't need either heat or air conditioning. I'll press the "off" button and forget about it.

Yesterday, after driving home from Turkey Day dinner, the climate control kept turning itself on over and over, regardless of how many times I pressed "off." A few seconds would pass and then -- BOOM! -- it was back on again.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the reprogramming the dealer gave the car four weeks ago -- but I'm no BMW mechanic.

The A/C system will come on to the last setting you had every time you restart the car, but I have never heard of it automatically coming on while driving. Do you have it set on AUTO? If so, it may come on to adjust the temp, even though you keep turning the A/C (snowflake) button off.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by newsman' post='203511' date='Nov 26 2005, 03:41 AM

I have not had that issue with my car. But, the programming of climate controls must have been done by Microsoft since off doesn't necessarily mean off any more for many brands. Maybe your car sensed a need to defrost. Others should know.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I would try turning the speed control adjustment that will turn off all the auto settings as i have noticed that once you hit the auto button you are truley automatic and even when continusley pushing the off button or the auto button does nothing you have to turn the speed of the fan then it shuts off.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I don't think this is normal. I have never seen it with my car.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, 6-speed, sliver-gray metallic, premium package, professional navigation ... among other options

Before I pressed the "off" button, only the fan was blowing at a low setting; the snowflake and auto buttons were also off.

It's very annoying. I thought it would go away after a day or so, but it popped up again today.

Maybe it's time for another trip to the dealer!
Old 11-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Definitely not normal.

I had the same problem with my E39 a couple of years ago. It was a blower problem. It would turn on by itself, and when it does it would set itself to the highest fan level, I have no control over it. Even when I try to at least set it at low mode it wouldn't respond. It's like it had a mind of its own. I didn't do anything to fix it until one day it just totally stopped working, and of all times during summer when it was hot and I had no AC. That was the killer and I decided to trade in the car, since I started experiencing other problems with it. The dealer I traded it to looked at the problem and came to the conclusion that it was definitely a blower problem.

But since the E60 is fairly new I can't imagine it having a blower problem
Old 11-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I remember my sales told me e60 has Carbon Dioxide sensor. When AC is recycle air internally, it will change to external air when sensor shows high in Carbon Dioxid.

Maybe this has something to do with your problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I have never experienced this with my 05 e60, get the car right back to your dealer for a fix.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Members

Obviously, your car is possessed. It must be the spirit of Horst, the mechanic who had a heart attack while he was installing your ventilation system on the assembly line. His soul is restless and must be appeased.
Recommend ingesting liberal quantities of schnapps (the real German stuff, not the sissy stuff from the states) and as much schnitzel as you can hold. If that doesn't work, just yell at your car in German (Bavarian dialect preferable).
Sorry, I'm not helping...